Counsel, Production Content Review
Full Time Job
Counsel clients across all Viacom channels (BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, et al) regarding legal issues relating to multi-platform programming, including intellectual property, defamation, privacy, right of publicity, and handle related claims. This position will report to the SVP, Business and Legal Affairs and will be based in Hollywood, CA.
• Advise production and legal clients on a wide range of issues in the broadcast and digital realms, including copyright, fair use, trademarks, libel, defamation, privacy and right of publicity
• Review scripts, casting materials, programming and other related materials to identify legal issues
• Investigate and respond to related claims
• Clearly and succinctly articulate legal advice both verbally and in writing
• Manage a wide variety of issues and legal matters efficiently
• Min of 5 years of experience advising clients on issues in the broadcast and digital realms including intellectual property, defamation, libel, right of privacy and right of publicity
• JD Degree, admitted in California
• Must have experience within legal review (examples are on air and online programming, scripts and advertising)
• Ability to analyze legal issues and render opinions and legal advice in a manner that is meaningful and helpful to the brands
• Ability to interact with and persuade senior level staff and generate strong client satisfaction
• A cooperative, collaborative and team-oriented approach
• Ability to effectively work with staff in all areas of the company to obtain information relevant to third-party claims
• Excellent work ethic, judgment, follow-through skills and ability to prioritize
• Excellent communication skills
• Production experience a strong plus
• Advertising law background a plus
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
At Viacom, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.