News Writer / Editor - AM
Full Time Job
WBBM-AM Newsradio, Chicago's leading multi-platform news organization, is seeking a passionate, dynamic journalist to serve as a part-time news editor and writer.
What You'll Do:
The hired individual will oversee the newsroom during the course of a daypart and will be responsible for creating rundowns, selecting sound to air during newscasts, writing and approving copy, and coordinating with the digital content team.
• Writers work off an assigned lineup drawing information from resource copy, the audio file, and appropriate network sources. Since there is little opportunity for detailed review of copy before airing, writers must ''get it right the first time'' and be able to work effectively under pressure.
• Editor: must review incoming news stories from a variety of sources and choose the stories of highest interest and most relevance to the WBBM Newsradio audience.
• Assembles an hourly lineup of news for writers and anchors to prepare.
• Assigns audio to newscasts.
• Creatively pursues new ways of presenting stories so that they have the most impact on the audience.
• Brings stories of interest to the attention of the manager on duty for reporter follow-up.
• Writers and editors must work closely with anchors and reporters in preparing newscasts.
• In the absence of the Managing Editor and the Director of News and Programming, the editor is the de facto leader in the newsroom.
• Editor directs assistant producers to take in tape and feeds, and works with newsroom personnel to pursue breaking stories.
• Editor coordinates coverage, when required.
• While writers and editors work primarily with people inside the WBBM Newsroom, from time to time they must deal with people outside the newsroom. These relationships may include, but are not limited to, responding to listener inquiries, talking to police and fire officials about breaking news events, and discussing coverage plans with WBBM-TV and Audacy.
More About You:
Required & Preferred:
• Qualified candidates must have excellent news judgment, familiarity with the Chicago news environment, and an ability to develop compelling local story angles.
• Must be familiar with broadcast style, with a strong ability to incorporate audio into written stories.
• Must have excellent grammar and good spelling and the ability to use social media to gather news and promote newsroom content.
• Need to have an understanding of legal guidelines that govern broadcast media and have excellent editorial judgment and a deep understanding of current events, national politics, and local news.
• Consistently maintains a friendly attitude and positive interaction when talking to listeners, the general public and with newsroom colleagues. Familiarity with local and corporate news policies, newsroom ethics and practices, and legal restrictions are a must.
• Applies those policies and procedures to news stories and all other daily activities.
• Alerts management to content that is questionable or that may be in violation of FCC, corporate or station policies and regulations.
• Suggests ideas to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of station operations.
• Makes suggestions for change that strengthens WBBM’s relationships with listeners, advertisers, and the Chicago community.
• Learns, understands, and follows company policy and procedures.
Audacy, Inc. (NYSE: AUD; OTC: AUDA) is a leading multi-platform audio content and entertainment company with the country’s best collection of local music, news and sports brands, a premium podcast creator, major event producer, and digital innovator. Audacy engages 200 million consumers each month, bringing people together around content that matters to them. Learn more at www.audacyinc.com, Facebook (Audacy Corp), X (@AudacyCorp), LinkedIn (@Audacy-Inc), Instagram (@lifeataudacy) and Threads (@Audacy_Corp).
Audacy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Audacy affords equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, religion or religious creed, sex/ gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law, and to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. Consistent with our commitment to equal employment opportunity, we provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who need assistance in applying electronically for a position with Audacy, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship. To request a reasonable accommodation for this purpose, please call 1-610-660-5614. Please note that this phone number is to be used solely to request an accommodation with respect to the online application process. Calls for any other reason will not be returned. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.