Full Time Job
How would you like to work and play in the Capital of the most powerful State in the Union? Audacy-Richmond is seeking a full-time News Director to lead our news department and take it to the next level. WRVA AM-FM in Richmond, Virginia has a rare opening for a News Director. 2021 and beyond will be unbelievable in news and politics, so come and be a part of a legendary radio station in one of America’s coolest cities. We’ve got great restaurants, breweries and the history in this city is second to none. You are also right in the middle of everything with DC to the north, Virginia Beach to the east and the mountains to the west.
The ideal candidate is an on-air personality with at least three years of experience who is capable of wearing many hats on the news team and has a passion for journalism.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Knowledge of principles and techniques of radio broadcast production, editor duties, and responsibilities.
• Strong writing and news production skills.
• Experience with research practices, broadcast writing, and digital/audio computer editing.
• Oversee daily operation of the newsroom including scheduling of staff
• Coordinates coverage of breaking news stories and special coverage plans.
• Works with program director in recruiting, hiring, evaluating and training of newsroom personnel.
• Represents station at industry meetings such as RTNDA.
• Develops potential news stories and assigns coverage.
• Coaches and mentors news staff.
• Demonstrate responsibility and versatility.
• Able to relate to the listening audience and the community.
• Must have an energetic, self-motivated, and out-going personality.
• Have a positive attitude and strong empathy skills.
• Must be punctual and dependable.
• Other duties as required by management.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and fully insured vehicle.
What You'll Do:
• Lead the news efforts of a five-station cluster.
• Anchor newscasts and oversee daily assignments and programming content.
• Write news stories and produce spot news reports and post to station website.
• Interact with local government and law enforcement agencies.
• Work closely with management and staff in all departments with result-oriented teamwork goals.
• Other duties as assigned by the Operations Director and consistent with the position.
Minimum of 3 years broadcast newsroom management experience; ideal candidate has a minimum of 5-10 years news experience as a reporter and/or anchor. Must be computer literate and have excellent writing skills. Position requires proficiency in editing and packaging news sound and interviews. Knowledge of the broadcast area and station demographics is essential; 4 year degree in journalism preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Position requires the majority of the day to be spent using a computer.
To help promote and ensure the safety of all of our employees and the communities we serve, we require all incoming employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination, which will be kept confidential. If you are not vaccinated, or partially vaccinated currently, but willing to become fully vaccinated, we invite you to still apply.
Audacy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive work environment for all and we recognize that some individuals may have a sincerely held religious belief as it pertains to the practice of immunization or a medical disability which may prevent them from becoming vaccinated. Individuals who cannot be fully vaccinated due to a sincere religious belief or medical disability may request an accommodation. We request that you refrain from discussing religious beliefs or medical conditions during the interview process. If you believe you need an accommodation, you will have an opportunity to submit your request during the interview process. All requests for accommodation will remain confidential and reviewed by selected individuals within the HR department. We cannot guarantee that all requests for accommodation will be granted. Please refer to our EEO policy and statement below.
Audacy, Inc. (NYSE: AUD) is a scaled, multi-platform audio content and entertainment company with the country’s best radio broadcasting group, a leader in virtually every segment of audio, and America’s #1 creator of original, premium audio. Audacy engages over 170 million consumers each month, bringing people together around the news, sports, podcasts and music that matter to them.