AudacyNew York, NY
Full Time Job
New York City's premier all-news radio station is seeking a full-time editor. The candidate will have at least five years of broadcast journalism experience in a major market, impeccable journalism credentials, and a proven track record of leadership.
The editor is a demanding position that requires smart, clear-cut decision-making under the pressure of breaking news. The ideal candidate will understand the difference between a news story and a compelling news story and build a show around those decisions. Must have a fundamental understanding of the importance of pacing and story slotting in a news show.
Day-to-day responsibilities include developing story ideas, assigning stories, and providing guidance, leadership, motivation, and support to a staff of seasoned professionals.
You will work closely with the station management to maintain ethical, editorial, and technical standards for broadcast news. In addition, the successful candidate will understand how to use social media to find and identify unique story ideas.
A bachelor's degree in journalism — or equivalent — is required. The successful candidate will possess knowledge of New York City and surrounding areas and knowledge of the legal boundaries in which a news broadcast operates. Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills.
What You'll Do:
More About You:
Thrives under unrelenting deadline pressure.
• Supervises on-air product, including editorial content
• Select stories for coverage and manage the editorial product in conjunction with news managers
• Oversees line-up of newscasts and makes changes as necessary
• Organizes and delegates assignments
• Coordinates breaking news/weather coverage.
• Ability to write under deadline pressure
• Ability to continuously update content throughout shift
• Must be able to read and understand complex material and turn it into easy to understand directions and copy
• Work with a team of seasoned professionals
• Strong ability to incorporate audio into written stories
• Have a working knowledge of legal guidelines, FCC rules, etc. and how they apply to your writing
• Candidates must be experts in audio editing and social media/new media
• You must be able to work in one of the most fast-paced radio newsrooms under the most demanding deadlines anywhere.
• You must have the ability to assign for major breaking news stories, tragedies, lighter stories, celebrities, newsmakers, and thrive in an environment where your work is subject to intense public scrutiny.
• A valid driver’s license, satisfactory completion of a motor vehicle record check, and proof of insurance, is required.
To help promote and ensure the safety of all of our employees and the communities we serve, we require all incoming employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination, which will be kept confidential. If you are not vaccinated, or partially vaccinated currently, but willing to become fully vaccinated, we invite you to still apply.
Audacy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive work environment for all and we recognize that some individuals may have a sincerely held religious belief as it pertains to the practice of immunization or a medical disability which may prevent them from becoming vaccinated. Individuals who cannot be fully vaccinated due to a sincere religious belief or medical disability may request an accommodation. We request that you refrain from discussing religious beliefs or medical conditions during the interview process. If you believe you need an accommodation, you will have an opportunity to submit your request during the interview process. All requests for accommodation will remain confidential and reviewed by selected individuals within the HR department. We cannot guarantee that all requests for accommodation will be granted. Please refer to our EEO policy and statement below.
Audacy, Inc. (NYSE: AUD) is a scaled, multi-platform audio content and entertainment company with the country’s best radio broadcasting group, a leader in virtually every segment of audio, and America’s #1 creator of original, premium audio. Audacy engages over 170 million consumers each month, bringing people together around the news, sports, podcasts and music that matter to them.