Trainee, Basketball Communications
Atlanta Hawks and State Farm ArenaAtlanta, GA
This was removed by the employer on 8/31/2022 6:22:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Assistant and Entry Level Category
Browse the Marketing Category
Browse the Sports Category
Search for Trainee, Basketball Communications jobs in Atlanta-GA
Search all Trainee, Basketball Communications postings
Full Time Job
We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best – host and entertain fans during a basketball game or special event. We've been closely monitoring the impact of the pandemic on our communities and team members. As part of our commitment to health and safety, we are implementing a mandatory vaccine requirement for current full-time and part-time team members, as well as all newly hired employees. Learn more here.
Who are we: A professional basketball team and state-of-the-art arena/entertainment venue that specializes in creating memorable experiences for each guest we interact with. Some of our favorite things are live sports, concerts, comedy shows, family shows, and most any other world-class event you can think of, and we're looking for someone who shares the same interests. We live for the fast pace world of sports & live entertainment, and as such, we work hard, run fast, execute flawlessly, and party it up when it all comes together. Lastly, we strive to deliver wonderful experiences that create lasting memories, and we prefer to surround ourselves with those who are the best at what they do.
Who are you: An enthusiastic lover of sports, live entertainment and people. You have true passion for engaging in meaningful interactions and creating memorable experiences for all guests. You strive to be helpful, engaging and knowledgeable of all things Atlanta Hawks and State Farm Arena. You enjoy being a part of an exciting and dynamic group, and you're committed to continuously enhancing the productivity and effectiveness of your team. Lastly, you enjoy working hard and celebrating hard, and you'd be shocked if guests weren't positively impacted by their interactions with you.
True Trainee Program Summary:
Here's your chance to experience a bold and dynamic organization firsthand. The Atlanta Hawks & State Farm Arena will be looking for passionate team players to participate in our 2022-2023 True Trainee Program. The program is designed to give top candidates real-life experience in the sports and entertainment industry, in addition to providing educational and networking opportunities. The program dates are September 2022-May 2023.
The role will report to the Manager, Basketball Communications, and will assist the Hawks PR staff with daily activities to service members of the media and the Hawks basketball operations staff. The trainee will have duties to fulfill on game days as well as non-game days and will gain invaluable experience as a season member of the Hawks PR staff.
What the Basketball Communications Trainee will be responsible for:
• Assist with game notes, press releases, and Player of the Week/Month nominations.
• Assist with updating and maintaining the newly-created media website.
• Create and distribute season and single-game credentials for media, visiting team, and organization
• Prepare and distribute pregame packets for the visiting team and media.
• On occasion, accompany players to interviews/appearances.
• Handle administrative responsibilities, including processing confidential reports, tracking deadlines, managing purchase requests, and taking meeting notes.
• Assist with media availability and player interviews at practice and shoot-around.
• Contribute to the Hawks' ''Seasonal Media Guide'' and ''Playoff Media Guide''.
Game Day Responsibilities:
• Create and send game day emails with pertinent media information.
• Create and place media seating cards and seating charts throughout the arena.
• Create single-game credentials for the upcoming game.
• Complete the Next Opponent packets.
• Assist with updating the game notes
• Send the scout's e-mail and excel sheet to the Basketball Operations department.
• Prep the game notes for the next game.
• Hand out media credentials at the media entrance beginning 3 ½ hours before tip-off.
• Assist with managing the Hawks PR Twitter account during the game.
• Complete the postgame notes
• On occasion, record and transcribe postgame quotes.
• Other duties as assigned.
What the Basketball Communications Trainee needs to have:
• Post Grad (recent college graduates within 24 months of graduation) or graduate-level college students required.
• Academic and/or Work experiences related to one or more of the following Journalism, Communications, or Public Relations.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office products and other related computer skills required.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
• Strong organizational skills, time management skills, and attention to detail required.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on business writing skills.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects.
• Ability to work independently without supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
• Strong team synergy skills and ability to work collaboratively with others whom you have no direct authority over.
• Excellent ability to establish rapport with others and ability to build strong interpersonal relationships.
• Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills.
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule including game days/nights, holidays, nights, and weekends and be on-call as necessary based on the changing priorities of the department.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changes while working in a multi-client environment
• Relocation and housing expenses are the responsibility of the Trainee. (Please note, this role must live and work out of the Atlanta, GA area.)
• Reliable transportation is also needed
Compensation and Benefits:
• $16.00/hour plus overtime
• Game tickets during Hawks season (as available)
• 50% discount on Atlanta Hawks merchandise
• Medical, dental, and vision coverage options
• Holiday Pay (5 major holidays)
If this opportunity is a job you're passionate about and it fits with your skills and experience, then we welcome you to take the next step and apply!
All offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of our pre-employment screenings, which may include a background check and drug screen.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.