ASCAPNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The VP, Licensing for ASCAP will lead the licensing strategy and negotiations for a number of national accounts spanning traditional and digital audiovisual (e.g. NBC, WarnerMedia, Netflix), audio only platforms (e.g. Spotify, Apple, etc.) and emerging platforms (e.g. gaming/e-sports, AR/VR, voice, connected car) including developing deep account expertise, deal execution/administration, contractual compliance, and operations related to the licensing and collection of license fees.
As a key member of ASCAP's Licensing department, this role will be part of a team responsible for the development and execution of the overall domestic licensing strategy to drive market penetration and revenue growth. They will be a proactive thought leader, highly skilled at closing complex commercial transactions in all forms, and dedicated to ASCAP's commitment to obtain fair compensation for the public performances of its members' works.
This is an exciting opportunity to make an impact in the music industry, but we feel it's helpful to clarify that this is not a music clearance role. It's a unique position, but more accurately compared to something along the lines of content distribution and/or affiliate sales.
• Develop deal strategy, lead negotiations, and ensure compliance with ASCAP'S licensing policies and procedures
• Develop, maintain and strengthen relationships among licensee accounts
• Viewed as thought leader and account expert by providing regular updates to senior management on account developments, press/new business endeavors, earning reports/performance and executive summaries
• Assist in the development and management of the annual domestic new media licensing revenue and expense budgets
• Drive the pre-determined annual revenue goal by leading the activities of other team members
• Partner and collaborate with other ASCAP departments, including Business & Legal Affairs, Membership, Global Technology Solutions, Marketing, Distribution & Repertory, and lead outside counsel (among other teams)
• Support EVP of Licensing to mine for and shepherd licensing developments and opportunities across ASCAP
• A minimum of 7 years of experience in content distribution, strategy and licensing within the entertainment industry, with an emphasis on digital content/music and entertainment services
• Strong knowledge of music licensing, copyright, entertainment, content distribution and digital industries and their business practices
• Strong influencing and negotiation skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external parties in evaluating and completing deals
• Proven track record in negotiating, closing and implementing revenue-driven partnerships
• Ability to clearly convey complex analyses to all relevant stakeholders (i.e., management, licensees, etc.)
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to effectively manage a diverse team to achieve results
• Able to work effectively in a results-driven, fast-paced dynamic business environment in a sector undergoing extensive change
• Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other relevant advanced degree (e.g., JD) a plus
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
• Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
• An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
ASCAP is home to more than 700,000 music creator members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy and service for music creators, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers and music publishers.