Senior Director, ASCAP Foundation Development and Fundraising
ASCAPNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a major music performing rights organization that licenses the public performances of music of over 825,000 members throughout the United States. The ASCAP Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization established by ASCAP in 1975, is dedicated to nurturing the music talent of tomorrow, preserving the legacy of the past and sustaining the creative incentive for today's creators through a variety of educational, professional, and humanitarian programs and activities which serve the music community.
The ASCAP Foundation seeks a Senior Director of Fundraising and Development who will spearhead development efforts and provide leadership and fundraising expertise to the Foundation ensuring financial growth and consistent achievement of the organization's financial objectives and mission. The Senior Director must be a strategic and visionary team member with a proven track record of leading successful fundraising initiatives to ensure the financial health and future of The ASCAP Foundation.
The Senior Director should be an experienced, entrepreneurial, articulate and highly motivated professional with at least seven years of successful experience in the non-profit fund development field. The Senior Director reports to and works directly with the Executive Director of The ASCAP Foundation.
The Senior Director serves as an ambassador of the organization and is entrusted with and will be accountable for developing and maintaining relationships with key funding organizations, donors, key stakeholders, Board members, and influential/philanthropic individuals to create enduring partnerships with The ASCAP Foundation. The Senior Director is responsible for all fundraising initiatives, identifying and writing grants, identifying and cultivating relationships with current and prospective major gift donors, growing small donors, securing in-kind donations, donor research and managing the donor database.
The Senior Director will collaborate with leadership to play a significant role in ensuring that The ASCAP Foundation's financial strategy and goals support and realize its mission.
Areas of responsibility:
FUNDRAISING & COMMUNICATION LEADERSHIP
• Develop and execute the annual fundraising plan, to include donor acquisition, prospect research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies to increase revenues in support of The ASCAP Foundation and its mission;
• Create annual giving programs to support all of the Foundation's revenue streams; major gifts (individual, corporate sponsorships and Foundation giving); mid-level: moving small gifts to larger gifts (i.e. monthly donor program); and broad-based support: direct mail, online giving, benefit events, and fundraising campaigns through social media that meets or exceeds annual goals;
• Increase, expand and diversify fundraising income through proactive donor and stakeholder cultivation, planned giving and bequest outreach, annual giving campaigns, special events, grant writing and reporting, project-specific campaigns, sponsorships, institutional giving, and online engagement;
• Build a thriving community of external champions contributing to establishing the financial support necessary to fuel and nurture the music talent of tomorrow;
• Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion, building a diverse revenue portfolio with sufficient unrestricted revenue to support capacity;
• In partnership with the Executive Director, work with the Board of Directors to maximize their personal and professional fundraising contributions;
• Manage the implementation and integrity of Raiser's Edge, including data entry, gift processing, donor acknowledgements, generating reports and lists, and maintaining accurate donor data and contact lists;
• Develop and track proposals and reports for all Foundation and corporate fundraising;
• Maintain positive relations with funders and good stewardship of grants, donations, and contracts;
• Expand opportunities for individual donor support;
• Positively represent the organization at ASCAP Foundation and ASCAP hosted events and internal meetings, at outside events, with the general public and with the media;
• Partner with the Executive Director and The ASCAP Foundation team to direct, oversee and refine all aspects of fundraising communications - from web presence to external and internal relations - with the goal of creating a stronger brand presence in the music and larger community and driving fundraising initiatives. Communications includes the production and creation of copy for communications vehicles such as newsletters, annual reports, planned giving materials, appeal letters, Evites, donation materials, scripts, press releases, acknowledgement letters and other promotional materials;
• Ideate, plan, develop and implement fundraising and development content for The ASCAP Foundation website and social media, as well as special and benefit event vehicles, and ensure that all credit card functions are operational;
• Partner with Executive Director and ASCAP Foundation Director of Finance to oversee and review donation tracking, and annual budget process;
• Partner with the ASCAP Foundation Senior Program Manager to ensure that program development and execution is aligned with financial, fundraising, and donor-related goals and strategic initiatives;
• Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in an effective and timely manner;
• Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development programs;
• Monitor development expenses and analyze budget reports on fundraising in coordination with the ASCAP Foundation Director of Finance;
• Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditures related to fundraising and the management of fund development activities
• Other duties as needed.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The Senior Director, ASCAP Foundation, must be a driven and articulate leader with a demonstrated record of successful fundraising.
The ideal candidate will:
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy partnering with the Executive Director to find mutually beneficial ways to enhance and accrue wealth for The ASCAP Foundation;
• Be committed to collaboration and teamwork with diverse groups of people and partners;
• Possess emotional intelligence allowing them to work with our board of directors, staff, and all stakeholders with transparency, discretion, and responsiveness;
• Be an excellent communicator and motivator of the various constituencies within and without the organization while working in a hands-on, multitasking and fast-paced environment on multiple simultaneous priorities;
• Prepare effective presentations for The ASCAP Foundation Board and senior management;
• Be entrepreneurial, open-minded, and flexible;
• Anticipate the wants and needs of donors;
• Make accurate projections about donor commitments and the availability of financial resources;
• Be engaging, persuasive, welcoming, inviting;
• Pay attention to detail;
• Possess the highest integrity with a strong sense of responsibility and stewardship for all funds provided to operate The ASCAP Foundation.
• Bachelor's degree requi