Customer Service Representative
Full Time Job
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 900,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers, and represents some of the world's most talented music creators. Founded and governed by songwriters and composers, it is the only performing rights organization in the U.S. that operates as a not-for-profit. ASCAP licenses a repertory of over 18 million musical works to hundreds of thousands of businesses that use music, including streaming services, cable television, radio and satellite radio and brick and mortar businesses such as retail stores, hotels, clubs, restaurants and bars. ASCAP collects the licensing fees; identifies, matches and processes trillions of performances every year; and returns nearly 90 cents of every dollar back to its members as royalties. The ASCAP blanket license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. ASCAP puts music creators first, advocating for their rights and the value of music on Capitol Hill, driving innovation that moves the industry forward, building community and providing the resources and support that creators need to succeed in their careers. Learn more and stay in touch at www.ascap.com, on Twitter and Instagram @ASCAP and on Facebook.
# # #
The Customer Service Representative provides high-quality, best-in-class service to general licensing non-VIP customers. The CSR ensures customers stay in compliance with the terms and conditions of various license agreements (25-30 ) by overcoming objections, reselling the benefits of the ASCAP blanket license and resolving low-level delinquencies. They answer account and billing questions, resolve disputes and provide accurate and timely information regarding payment and/or reporting terms in writing and via telephone while maintaining a pleasant demeanor in every interaction. The customer service representative adheres to our service level expectations of One Call Resolution â€'' meeting customers' needs in one single interaction and 24-48hr response times.
Areas of Responsibility:
• Knows and understands terms of the top (5) fixed rate (eg. BGT, AdultEnt, Fitness, Conv, DanceSchool ) and report and pay (eg Hotels, Concerts, Shopping Centers) license classes.
• Attends training classes and works with Customer Service Manager to develop knowledge of additional classes (eg. GenFest, Residential Community, PrivateClubs ) with the goal to know 20-25 licenses within the first 1-3 years.
• Answers an average of 35-40 incoming calls per day during peak times and 20-25 per day during non-peak times.
• Resolves disputes by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
• Understands the basics of our collection process in order to apprise customers of the payment due dates associated with their license.
• Understands copyright law as it relates to public performance of copyrighted music and can communicate it clearly and concisely to customers.
• Responds to inquiries via phone, email and social media eg Live Chat.
• Maintains licensee accounts by processing policy changes, adjustments and report submissions.
• Efficiently advises licensees on terms of 20 license agreements and reeducates customers on need for licensing.
• Processes payments according to PCI compliance protocols.
• Ensures members' rights are protected by reviewing discontinuance of music uses carefully and processing cancellations when warranted per standard procedures.
• Utilizes ASCAP systems to update account information.
• Greets customers with enthusiasm and professionalism to establish and maintain positive rapport with every customer throughout the call.
• Exercises sound judgment and knows when to escalate matters to the Manager.
• Creates cases when necessary to resolve disputes/changes on customer accounts.
• Closes cases of inquiries from customers received via email, fax and regular mail.
• Establishes win/win solutions to resolve disputes whenever possible.
• Logs all call activity into CRM during and/or after each call and sets appropriate follow-up when required.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• The successful candidate must be able to communicate with customers using professional and pleasant etiquette via telephone, email, and instant message chat
• Proficient in the knowledge and practical use of up-to-date versions of Microsoft Office and Google Docs/Sheets
• Familiarity with internet applications (including Salesforce)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills is a must
• Ability to problem-solve independently and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
• Call center and/or Sales experience preferred
• Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus
• Proven track record as a team-player, great interpersonal skills
• Entry-level role, 1-2 years of work experience preferred
Work Hours: The department requires staffing between the hours of 9-5 eastern Monday-Friday.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
• Vision plan that offers both in and out of network provider options
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
• An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Short term disability Insurance/salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
Please be aware that ASCAP is not a nut-free or other allergen-free workplace.
As a condition of employment, ASCAP requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (including a first booster) against COVID-19. ASCAP will make reasonable accommodations for those who are unable to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination, where required by federal, state and local law, and in accordance with ASCAP's policies.
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Occasional travel for in-person meetings may be required.
The anticipated base salary range for this position will be determined on an individualized basis depending on several factors that are unique to each candidate including geographic location (due to differences in the cost of labor), skills, education and prior relevant experience.