Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
ASCAPNew York, NY
Full Time Job
As Counsel for the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (''ASCAP''), you will be part of the Business and Legal Affairs Department, working as a corporate generalist on a variety of complex transactions. This position is expected to provide support for ASCAP's general corporate, operational and technology legal matters.
This position is based in New York City.
Areas of responsibility/accountability
• Ability to cover a high volume of time sensitive assignments, prioritize matters based on business needs and drive deals to close.
• Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on an extensive range of agreements, including consulting services agreements, engagement letters, membership agreements, and marketing and promotion agreements.
• Provide intellectual property law advice and counsel to internal clients.
• Support ASCAP's subsidiaries and affiliates, including The ASCAP Foundation.
• Explain complex legal issues in a manner that allows internal clients to manage business risks, including as it relates to new products and services.
• Interest in learning the business and operations of ASCAP in order to provide counsel on ongoing legal matters.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships externally and internally.
• Ability to analyze and synthesize information and suggest creative solutions to meet business needs while balancing risks.
• Experience negotiating technology agreements preferred.
• A common sense approach to decision-making.
• A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change and speed.
• J.D. with superior academic credentials preferred.
• Licensed and in good standing to practice law in New York State.
• Minimum of four years of relevant large law firm and/or in-house experience required.
• Previous in-house counsel experience and/or knowledge of the entertainment/digital industry and related legal trends and business affairs practices is a plus.
• Qualified candidates should possess excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills and oral and written communication skills.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
• Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
• An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options