Associate Director, Nashville
ASCAPHybrid in Nashville, TN
Full Time Job
The American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants, and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With more than 850,000 members representing more than 16 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. Learn more and stay in touch at www.ascap.com, on Twitter and Instagram @ASCAP and on Facebook.
# # #
As Associate Director, Nashville, you will play a key role in leading and driving efforts to increase ASCAP's membership and drive licensing market share. In this strategic role, you will leverage your deep knowledge of the music industry to cultivate and maintain strong relationships within aspects of the music industry - including indie and major record labels, publishers, lawyers, managers, agents - with a particular emphasis on enhancing ASCAP's on-the-ground presence in the Nashville, TN area.
In this leadership role, you will be responsible for the discovery and development of up-and-coming, as well as established, songwriters and music publishers for genres, particularly including Country and Christian.
This role will require strong interpersonal skills and strategic mindset to drive ASCAP's goals and initiatives. The Director is a driven and passionate individual who believes in ASCAP's mission and is committed to staying informed about the evolving music industry at large and ASCAP's market share. Key functions also include planning of and attending industry events, public speaking, and market research. This role will require occasional travel.
• Ideate and execute the strategic direction for ASCAP in critical markets, specifically the Nashville, TN area, to increase ASCAP's membership and market share
• Discover and develop up-and-coming talent, songwriters and music publishers, including the targeting of songwriters to switch to ASCAP, which might positively affect ASCAP's market share
• Form new and maintain existing relationships within all aspects of the music industry; including but not limited to indie and major record labels, publishers, lawyers, managers, agents, and more
• Leverage festivals to curate new opportunities for ASCAP's up and coming members, recruit new members, and build relationships with festival stakeholders such as the annual Pilgrimage festival in Nashville, TN
• Plan and attend industry events, which will occasionally require overnight travel
• Conduct market research
• Support ASCAP's membership by responding to member questions and conducting research in ASCAP's internal systems to resolve inquiries
• Outstanding interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to operate independently with keen ability to exercise sound judgment
• Represents and acts in ASCAP's best interest to support the mission
• Ability to manage competing priorities and adapt to changing business needs and focus
• Very strong attention to detail, with diligent organizational skills
• Ability to maintain a professional and pleasant demeanor when interacting with members and other industry professionals, either on the phone or in person
• Ability to stay informed about the music industry at large, including ASCAP's market share
• 5 years of experience in the music industry with expertise in Performing Rights and identifying and developing talent.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
• Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
• An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
As a condition of employment, ASCAP requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (including a first booster, when eligible) against COVID-19. ASCAP will make reasonable accommodations for those who are unable to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination, where required by federal, state and local law, and in accordance with ASCAP's policies.
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.