American Public MediaLos Angeles, CA
APM Studios is looking for a journalist/writer to be a script and story editor. We are looking for a part-time, contract editor who can see the macro, and help shape the arc of a podcast series, as well as work on the micro, granular level, to make sure every line of every episode is just right.
As the Podcast Editor, you will edit new and existing podcasts produced by APM Studios. You'll work closely with the podcast development team and external production companies to review paper, digital and sound drafts. In this role, you will assist podcast producers in developing storylines and determining the focus for individual episodes and podcast seasons. You'll also review scripts and rough mixes on both a global and a line-by-line basis, ensuring that our slate of podcasts is captivating, accurate, legal, innovative, and enlightening for audiences. Our company is distributed across the U.S. and we welcome remote applicants.
Pay is commensurate with experience.
- Provide timely editorial feedback to external production companies for pilots and shows in development
- Attend content check-ins and editorial meetings with external production companies and show teams
- Collect feedback from other company stakeholders and reconcile comments before sending them back to the production team
- Edit new and existing podcasts and digital content for quality, accuracy, and audience engagement on deadline.
- Work with producers and digital staff to determine content for websites
- Collaborate with editorial partners
- Produce occasional audio pieces for podcasts
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, English or related field
- Four or more years experience editing, reporting or producing
- Experience editing podcasts or other audio journalism
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Well-established depth of reporting skills; and an understanding of legal issues around media and reporting, and the need for interpretative reporting on often complex and many-layered issues
- Superior abilities in creating story ideas, writing, editing, producing and reporting
- Strong leadership skills, including decisiveness, fairness, empathy, and ability to accept feedback and criticism
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team
- Ability to bring out producers' and hosts' excellence with firmness and genuine encouragement.
- Excellent writing skills
- Creative field and studio production skills
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Facility with digital audio editing equipment, Google docs, transcription software
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Contacts with national producers
- Experience editing non-fiction podcasts for national audiences
- Experience developing podcasts from the ground up
APPLICATION in the subject line. Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online