Sr Producer, Apm Studios
American Public Media GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
APM Studios seeks a Senior Producer to play a vital role in shaping an upcoming series at the intersection of America’s relationship with race and racism, family history and healing from intergenerational trauma. You’ll be a confident storyteller who knows how to tell sensitive stories; an editorial guide and collaborator with the host, and a proxy for the audience to make sure listeners are brought into the story throughout the series.
As Senior Producer you’ll deeply understand the mechanics of series production and demonstrate a comfort with archive material, organizing existing tape and new interviews and know how to plan recording schedules, manage scripting, and track workflows. You’ll also know how to bring the elements together through narration, music, and sound design, with a seamless arc across multiple episodes.
Demonstrated measurable success in crafting podcast formats from beginning to end is a must, knowing what works for the ear and will serve the audience first. Thinking beyond audio is also encouraged: developing early ideas for audience engagement or ancillary content to serve different audiences.
As Senior Producer, you should be a strong manager and coach, a kind, creative and deadline-oriented leader and have experience running narrative-driven series in a collaborative team environment. You should also have experience working with hosts, be able to balance making sure the host’s voice is front and center, while also maximizing the listener experience.
Compensation Range: St. Paul - $74,033 - $111,050 | New York - $88,886 - $133,329 | Los Angeles - $85,230 - $127,845. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, geographic location, and internal equity.
Location: Remote, USA.
Application Deadline: open until is filled.
• Working with the EP and host, develop a detailed editorial and delivery plan for episodes
• Organize archive material: work with team to secure clearances and release forms
• Develop episode storyboards
• Oversee interviews and/or reporting trips
• Write and craft episodes with host
• Act as first point of daily contact with host
• Manage show budget
• Assist in vetting, hiring, onboarding, and training new producers and Aps
• Manage and supervise producers, associate producers and interns who will have day-to-day responsibility for booking, scheduling, recording, producing, editing and rough mixing the podcasts. At times Senior Producer may be required / needed to assist in these tasks
• Participate in ongoing evaluation and improvement of episodes
• Make sure teams are creating and keeping up with their editorial calendars using Asana
• Coordinate with social, marketing, permissions and rights, membership, and sponsorship teams
• Editing assistance
• Listening to and approving fine mixes and confirming upload to feed
• Assist with fundraising as appropriate
• Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• 7 years’ experience, including 2 years as a series lead producer and experience launching a podcast?
• Three years or more experience at management/supervisory level
, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Experience with audio editing software
• Strong ability to structure compelling audio content and stories
• Experience producing podcasts
• Dynamic storytelling ability
• Effective and compassionate manager
• Experience working with hosts
• Ability to think big and create memorable audio and oversee the daily details of production.
• Flexible under deadline pressure, able to work effectively and collaboratively with hosts and other staff
• Ability to quickly write and edit smart, compelling content for a variety of platforms
• High journalistic standards and a vision for the podcasts
• Strong audio production experience
• Highly motivated, well organized and flexible.
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Extensive knowledge of digital audio broadcast software and techniques, studio and field production
• Experience covering issues around race, trauma, personal histories
• Resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve
• Independence, initiative, and excellent judgment
Reporting to this Position:
• Associate Producers
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Required to move about in the community
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Occassional exposure to prevelant weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.