Sr Editor - Politics
American Public Media GroupSaint Paul, MN
This was removed by the employer on 9/26/2023 10:39:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Podcast Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Sr Editor - Politics jobs in Saint Paul-MN
Search all Sr Editor - Politics postings
Full Time Job
MPR News is seeking an experienced, standout journalist to edit our premiere politics and government coverage. The Senior Editor, Politics will guide a skilled reporting team that covers the governor, the Minnesota Legislature, state government departments and agencies, Minnesota’s delegation in Washington and elections. We’re looking for a supportive editor who thrives in a fast-paced working environment and cultivates engaging, impactful stories that hold state leaders accountable and help citizens make informed decisions.
The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge of the political process, including how the state budget is assembled. This editor will embrace audience-centered journalism that shows how policy debates translate into the lives of Minnesotans. Successful candidates will share a commitment to coverage that reflects a diversity of sources and perspectives.
In this role, you will assign and edit stories for multiple platforms, including radio programs, newscasts, podcasts, and the MPR News website. Your team’s work will also appear in daily newsletters and on social media. As team leader, you will help develop detailed plans for elections and legislative coverage in collaboration with newsroom leadership and reporters. Additional duties may include reporting, hosting live coverage, moderating candidate debates and live events. While you will have an assigned shift, you will also be required to work nights and/or weekends as news cycle and staffing needs require.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Location: St. Paul, MN. Based at MPR News headquarters and our office at the State Capitol. Some work can be performed from home.
Compensation Range: $84,000 - $100,800/yr. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
• Serve as the lead audio/digital editor on MPR News’ political and election coverage
• Make editorial and logistical decisions quickly about content as changing events dictate
• Cultivate a digital-first newsroom environment that highlights breaking news, features and projects
• Work with MPR News Deputy Managing Editor, Politics and Regional on planning news coverage and strategy
• Collaborate with broadcast, digital, production and IT teams in planning and implementing special coverage, including debates, elections and live shows
• Occasionally edit radio and/or digital news stories by other team members as assigned
• Support social content on multiple platforms including, but not limited to, Election Hub oversight
Required Education and Experience:
• 5 years of editing or equivalent experience; 5 of experience in journalism, including experience creating, managing content and workflows
• Strong editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy, fairness, and balance
• Strong storytelling skills and deep understanding of narrative structure
• Knowledge of AP style, familiarity with online content management systems, experience with social media
• Understanding of audio production and sound mixing
• Ability to edit both short- and long-form audio stories, including weekly Political radio program and podcast
• Collaborative spirit and willingness to share knowledge, skills and experiences with colleagues and partners
• Ability to help guide and support reporters through the ups and downs of a long-term project, including coverage of legislative sessions and campaign cycles
• Ability to prioritize work and make resource decisions accordingly
• Commitment to public service journalism
• Commitment to an inclusive and equitable workplace
Reporting to this Position:
• Edit and assign political reporting team. No direct reports.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
APMG offers a comprehensive benefits package including Medical plans with HSA and FSA options, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Paid Parental Leave and Paid Caregiver Leave after 1 year, Vacation (3 wks/per year, pro-rated, based on hours worked), Sick time (12 days, pro-rated, based on hours worked), Holiday Pay (10 holidays 2 floating holidays each year), Volunteer Time (8 hours per year), Long-Term Care and Critical Illness insurance options, Employee Assistance Program, 403(b) Retirement Plan, and more.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.