American Public Media GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Producer I or Producer II, Marketplace (On-Demand)
Who We Are:
It's an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with close to 13 million listeners, and we're evolving into a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans. Marketplace is an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us.
Marketplace is looking for a Producer I or Producer II, Podcasts to join the team behind a successful suite of podcasts that look to raise the economic intelligence of the country through our creative and conversational approach to business, the economy, and money. This producer would work directly with our long-form non-fiction shows and other Marketplace podcasts. We’re looking for a creative producer who has excellent production chops; is a fierce booker, audio editor, and researcher; is well organized and detail-oriented; understands the power of journalism that holds the powerful accountable; and is able to thrive working in a collaborative team environment, sometimes on multiple projects. As a producer here, you’d also be actively engaged in planning longer-term projects and could take a series from start to finish, working between departments.
Each of our production teams are small, so you’d be expected to take an active role in every part of the process, including pitching stories and themes, booking, editing audio, engaging, and growing our podcast audiences. You should have strong writing skills and excellent news judgment. An interest in climate change and how government policy affects our everyday lives is preferred. We’re an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us.
This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement between Marketplace and the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio (SAG-AFTRA).
This position will be a Producer I OR Producer II depending upon the most qualified candidate's experience and their ability to fulfill the “Position Responsibility” and “Required Experience” of that level.
Expected Compensation Range: Producer I: $38.4615 - $46.1538/per hour. | Producer II: $42.3076 - 50.7691/per hour. The exact hourly rate is determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, and internal equity.
Application Deadline: October 27, 2023
Location: Los Angeles, or Remote
• Help shape the sound and structure of the podcasts you’re working on, working with senior staff.
• Participate in edits; including group edits, and use feedback to edit interviews, pieces, and episodes.
• Pitch topics and guests to small teams. Research topics and fact check stories. Book and pre-interview guests.
• Field produce interviews outside of the studio, along with other show segments, as required.
• Find and cut for the best interview and tape moments, prepare produced segments for engineers to do final mix.
• Prepare episode rundowns, scripts, and line up production elements for podcast studio recording.
• Prepare podcast stories for broadcast.
• Write for digital (i.e., show descriptions, episode pages, newsletter), as needed.
• Publish podcasts, as needed.
• Cross-train to work across the podcast portfolio.
• Manage the production process and line produce, including serving as the ‘final ear’ on episodes, as assigned.
• Supervise editing and postproduction, as needed.
• Generate coverage, staying ahead of the production cycle to develop leads.
• Responsible for the editorial content of a project/episode.
• Edit content within required deadlines.
• Help direct the work of interns, Associate Producers, as needed.
• Administrative work as needed, (i.e., maintaining production schedules, listener emails, and other communication invoicing, etc.)
• Coordinate special projects, as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the above, Producer II responsibilities include:
• Serve as lead producer for major projects - from conception to completion.
• Create new program features.
• Manage relationships with outside content partners to ensure maximum efficiency in sharing stories and presenting them in a dynamic way.
• Lead field producer.
• Lead special projects producer.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field preferred.
• Five or more years of experience working in journalism, writing, reporting, and producing experience.
• Six or more years of experience working in journalism, audio production, writing, reporting, and producing experience.
, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Experience editing digital audio.
• Experience working on a narrative show or podcast.
• Dynamic storytelling ability
• Ability to quickly write and edit smart, compelling content for a variety of platforms.
• Ability to prioritize among competing tasks.
• High editorial and audio standards
• Production experience in digital audio or radio
• Resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve. Forward thinker.
• Independence, positive attitude, initiative, and excellent judgment
• Strong organizational and communication skills, including persuasive communication across multiple stakeholders.
• Interest and ability to pitch in where needed and take on new duties as assigned.
• Field production experience
• Reporting experience
• Demonstrated creativity in approach to the delivery of news.
• Knowledge of business and economics
• Digital audio editing experience
• Strong ability to structure compelling stories across platforms.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
APMG offers a comprehensive benefits package including Medical plans with HSA and FSA options, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Paid Parental Leave and Paid Caregiver Leave after 1 year, Vacation (3 wks./per year, pro-rated, based on hours worked), Sick time (12 days, pro-rated, based on hours worked), Holiday Pay (10 holidays 2 floating holidays each year), Volunteer Time (8 hours per year), Long-Term Care and Critical Illness insurance options, Employee Assistance Program, 403(b) Retirement Plan, and more.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.