Producer I, On-Demand, Marketplace
American Public Media GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Who We Are:
It's an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with close to 13 million listeners, and we're evolving into a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans. Marketplace is an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don't take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us.
Marketplace is hiring a Producer, Podcasts, to join a growing on demand team of a successful suite of podcasts. The Producer would work on existing Marketplace podcasts, including our lifestyle podcast, This Is Uncomfortable. If you love examining the messiness of money and what it does to our lives, this is the job for you!
We’re looking for a creative producer who has excellent production chops; is a fierce booker, audio editor, and researcher; is well organized and detail-oriented; follows podcasts obsessively; and can thrive working in a collaborative team-environment, sometimes on multiple projects. As a producer here, you’d also be actively engaged in planning longer term episodes, and could take a series from start or finish, working between departments. Each of our production teams are small, so you’d be expected to take an active role in every part of the process, including pitching stories and themes, booking, editing audio, engaging, and growing our podcast audiences, and live event production.
We’re an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us.
Location: New York, Los Angeles, D.C., or Remote U.S.A.
Compensation Range: New York - $38.15 - $57.23/ hourly | Los Angeles & D.C. - $36.58 - $54.87/ hourly. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, geographic location, and internal equity.
Application Deadline: May 6, 2022
• Help shape the sound and structure of the podcasts you’re working on, working with senior staff.
• Participate in edits; including group edits, and use feedback to edit interviews, pieces, and episodes.
• Pitch topics and guests to small team. Research topics and fact check stories. Book and pre-interview guests.
• Review listener stories, responses to call-outs, and comments via email and other platforms, and incorporate into podcast.
• Field produce interviews outside of the studio, along with other show segments, as required.
• Find and cut for the best interview and tape moments, prepare produced segments for engineers to do final mix.
• Prepare episode rundowns, scripts, and line up production elements for podcast studio recording.
• Train to direct show rolls; choose music; maintain audio quality control.
• Help coordinate live events, as needed.
• Communicate about podcasts across Marketplace digital, editorial and production teams, collaborating to produce content across platforms.
• Write for digital (i.e., show descriptions, episode pages, newsletter), as needed.
• Publish podcasts, as needed.
• Cross train to work across the podcast portfolio.
• Help direct work of interns, Associate Producers, as needed.
• Administrative work as needed, (i.e., maintaining production schedules, listener emails and other communication invoicing, etc.)
• Other duties as assigned.
• Coordinate special projects, as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 5 years of experience providing production support or other applicable experience.
, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Experience editing digital audio.
• Experience working on a narrative show or podcast
• Dynamic storytelling ability
• Ability to quickly write and edit smart, compelling content for a variety of platforms
• Ability to prioritize among competing tasks
• High editorial and audio standards
• Production experience in digital audio or radio
• Resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve. Forward thinker.
• Independence, positive attitude, initiative, and excellent judgment
• Field production experience preferred
• Reporting experience preferred
• Narrative experience preferred
• Strong organizational and communication skills, including persuasive communication across multiple stakeholders
• Interest and ability to pitch in where needed and take on new duties as assigned
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply