Kids Team Editor, Apm Studios
American Public Media GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
APM Studios is looking for an Editor with a background in journalism, writing or storytelling, to bring a sense of whimsy and creative curiosity to our children’s podcasts. This is a very collaborative and creative team who think deeply about how to serve listeners between the ages of 7-12. The Editor should be able to bring humor and fun while helping to shape the arc of a podcast series, as well as making sure every line of every episode is just right and factually correct.
Compensation Range: St. Paul - $74,033 - $111,050 | Los Angeles - $85,230 - $127,845 | New York - $88,886 - $133,329. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, geographic location, and internal equity.
Location: Remote USA
Application Deadline: position posted until is filled.
• Bring innovative and fun ideas to the brainstorming sessions for new episode ideas and segments.
• Provide timely editorial feedback to the production team on concepts, script drafts, table reads and audio edits
• Edit podcast scripts and audio as well as website and social media digital content for quality, accuracy, and audience engagement on deadline
• Manage a team of Producers.
• Work with producers and digital staff to determine content for websites
• On occasion research stories, conduct interviews, and write for the podcasts
• Produce occasional audio pieces for podcasts.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• Four or more years’ experience editing, reporting, or producing
• Previous supervisory or management experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Experience editing scripts, podcasts, or other audio journalism
• Superior abilities in creating story ideas, writing, editing, producing, reporting.
• Strong leadership skills, including decisiveness, fairness, empathy, and ability to accept feedback and criticism.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a team.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Creative field and studio production skills
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently, remotely, and also collaboratively.
• Familiarity with digital audio editing equipment, Google docs, transcription software.
• Strong ability to develop stories for audio, including narration, use of audio and an understanding of the role of sound design
• Understanding of children’s programming; digital, TV, radio, or podcast
• Experience editing non-fiction and narrative podcasts for national audiences.
• Experience writing or editing children’s podcasts, literature, or other media or with classroom teaching.
Reporting to this Position:
• Associate Producers
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office or home environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Required to move about in the community
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occassional exposure to prevelant weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.