Host, The Current
American Public Media GroupSaint Paul, MN
Full Time Job
Host, The Current (Midday)
Join an award-winning team of on-air talent as a Host at The Current! By working collaboratively, you will host a daily music show on The Current, in the midday daypart. In this role, you will create compelling breaks about the music you’re playing – new to nostalgic, indie to influential, local to legendary – that engage the audience around music discovery. You will have the opportunity to conduct interviews with emerging and established musicians and provide the audience with insight into the story behind the music and the artists you’re interviewing.
A host in this role is internally-motivated to serve the public – listeners, members, and the music community – and thinks about what the audience wants and needs. As a colleague, this host does their work with respect and inclusion to build trust.
Hosts at The Current also collaborate in their role with programming and digital teams on multiplatform content and are a part of a creative and bold team innovating around content at the country’s premiere music discovery public media service.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am to 4pm, occasional nights and weekend fill-in.
Expected Compensation Range: $48,500 - $68,000/yr. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
• Schedule and perform live and voice-tracked air shifts using The Current’s playlist and music library and craft compelling on-air breaks.
• Operate the play to air system and studio equipment.
• Perform and record voice overs for shows, content, promos and underwriting as assigned.
• Prepare for and Interview musicians and others as needed.
• Write intros, interview questions, and scripted breaks.
• Host content on The Current’s digital platforms as assigned.
• Execute on-air content including features, in-studio sessions, and remote broadcasts.
• Participate in the promotion of Minnesota Public Radio, including public appearances and on-air fundraising activities.
• Understand and comply with FCC Broadcast Regulations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 1-3 years of relevant broadcast experience.
, Knowledge and Abilities:
• In depth knowledge of the music heard on The Current and a strong sense of the musical direction and sound the station seeks to create and maintain.
• Engaging on-air presence.
• Curiosity and enthusiasm about ways to bring new listeners to the station.
• Ability to work with others in a goal-oriented, collaborative team environment with respect, inclusion, and personal accountability.
• Knowledge and appreciation of the current music scene/community in the Twin Cities and throughout Minnesota.
• Ability to develop contacts and professional relationships in the Minnesota music community.
• Fluency in social media and digital channels and platforms.
• Knowledge of Music Master and Dalet is helpful.
• Experience in announcing, production, and on-air pitching or fundraising.
• Knowledge of the radio and music industry, including the non-commercial public radio operational model.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
APMG offers a comprehensive benefits package including Medical plans with HSA and FSA options, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Paid Parental Leave and Paid Caregiver Leave after 1 year, Vacation (3 wks/per year, pro-rated, based on hours worked), Sick time (12 days, pro-rated, based on hours worked), Holiday Pay (10 holidays 2 floating holidays each year), Volunteer Time (8 hours per year), Long-Term Care and Critical Illness insurance options, Employee Assistance Program, 403(b) Retirement Plan, and more.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.