Editor, Laist Studios
American Public Media GroupPasadena, CA
Full Time Job
Editor, LAist Studios (temporary)
Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at LAist 89.3, online at LAist.com and through LAist Live Programming & Events. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
LAist Studios is Southern California Public Radio’s podcast production vehicle. We’re building an incredibly talented, diverse team of storytellers and we’re looking for a temporary editor to support development, creation and supervision of a new podcast from LAist Studios. The right candidate is ambitious, strategic and collaborative. You are as passionate about making unforgettable audio as you are in elevating the work of others.
You will wear many hats: editor, project lead, and coach. You will work with reporters and producers, some new to long-form journalism, to create and shape a new podcast.
What you should possess: an excellent ear for sound and storytelling; the ability to wrangle hosts and talent; a competitive and nimble spirit; excellent editorial judgment; be comfortable experimenting; a ton of ideas and the ability to let those ideas go when they don’t work; a love for writing and structure and an appreciation for the art of editing and being edited. You are also good at giving feedback, and receiving it.
This is a temporary, part-time role, estimated to be 20 hours per week.
The pay rate for this opportunity will be no less than $42.16 per hour and no more than $63.24 per hour. Exact pay rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, budget and internal equity.
• Work closely with a senior producer and host to help shape narrative, focus and episodes of an upcoming podcast from LAist Studios.
• Edit scripts and rough mixes on both a big picture and a line-by-line basis, ensuring that the podcast is captivating, innovative and enlightening for audiences.
• Ensure alignment with SCPR editorial ethics and standards and mission.
• Collaborate with audio engineer, host(s), and producers on daily basis.
• Research ideas for podcast, as well as write and edit podcast content.
• Travel as needed to conduct field reporting and interviews alongside production team.
• Lead and/or participate in editing of pilot projects, from development to execution.
• Fill in for senior producer as needed to lead team meetings and ensure work continues smoothly and productively among team.
• Liaise as appropriate with LAist underwriting, membership and development to strengthen the distribution and marketing of the podcast.
• Work with other stakeholders within the organization to ensure that our content will have audience and sponsor appeal.
• Perform or have knowledge of soup-to-nuts editing and production tasks, including identifying and interviewing sources, booking, prepping hosts, writing scripts, researching, fact-checking, processing tape and making it sing, and managing talent.
• Communicate constantly and clearly with other members of the newsroom.
• Manage multiple deadlines and responsibilities at once, keeping senior producer, host, producers and others updated.
• Work with senior producer and digital staff to determine and edit content for website and social media as needed.
• Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree OR equivalent work experience.
• 5 years’ total work experience, including one year experience managing the work of other journalists.
• Experience with news writing, interviewing, and editing.
• Experience working collaboratively with creative and editorial talent.
• Experience with research, reporting, interviewing, storytelling, audio editing and sound design.
, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Well-established depth of reporting skills; and an understanding of the need for interpretative reporting on often complex and many-layered issues
• Superior abilities in creating story ideas, writing, editing, producing and reporting.
• Superior abilities in structuring stories and delivering high impact narratives.
• Strong leadership skills, including decisiveness, fairness, empathy, and ability to accept feedback and criticism.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a team.
• Ability to bring out producers’ excellence with firmness and genuine encouragement.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Creative field and studio production skills.
• Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently.
• Facility with digital audio editing equipment.
• Understanding of journalism ethics and standards.
• A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives.
• Top-notch organizational skills, attention to detail, deadlines and time-management.
• Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
• Ability to multitask.
• An independent work ethic combined with a love for and patience with the collaborative process.
• Ability to produce programs that meet SCPR standards.
• Ability to advocate for program/resources/staff.
• Ability to evaluate content/quality/sound and act decisively with sound judgment.
• Knowledge of new media applications for digital distribution, audience engagement and community networking.
• Experience editing podcasts for national audiences.
• Experience using ENPS or equivalent.
Reporting to This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Ability to travel as required.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment
• Reach with hands and arms
• Balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
Southern California Public Radio (LAist 89.3/LAist.com/LAist Studios) is diverse in race, ethnicity, language, culture, social class, national origin, religious and political belief, age, ability, gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation in addition to other markers protected by law.
At SCPR, we strive to create an inclusive environment where we all feel pride in who we are and what we do. We are encouraged to show up as we are – always embracing and recognizing that our diversity is what brings us together. Our fundamental commitment to diversity:
• Enriches SCPR and provides an atmosphere in which all human potential is valued
• Promotes learning through interactions among people of different backgrounds and many perspectives, and
• Enables the organization to prepare all employees to promote social responsibility, equity, freedom, and productive citizenship in a global society
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage you to apply.