Associate Producer, Pan Portfolio
American Public Media GroupSaint Paul, MN
Full Time Job
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences, and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio, and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation, and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan, and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business, and investigative journalism.
OK, be honest. How many podcasts have you listened to this week? If the answer is “I don’t know - I’ve lost count” then we’d like to hear from you!
APM Studios is growing fast, as we build our portfolio with shows that serve children, young and diverse audiences, and anyone who’s interested in the power of audio to teach us how to live, how to learn, and how to better understand ourselves, our communities, and the world. We’re lucky: we have shows that already do all these things, but we’re looking for more - and this is where you come in.
Compensation Range: $20.80 - $29.90/per hour. The exact hourly rate is determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, and internal equity.
Location: New York, Los Angeles, D.C., OR Remote USA
Application Deadline: Friday, October 14, 2022.
We’re hiring an associate producer to join a pan-portfolio team that works across our shows. You’ll provide research support for new show ideas, conduct pre-interviews, and build prep documents for our narrative shows, organize show production handbooks, assemble draft episode mixes for existing shows, and step in with production support on collaborative projects across APM. You’ll also have an interest in audience engagement and have ideas about how to connect with our audiences beyond the podcast.
At Studios, we’re looking for people who enjoy the podcast medium, listen across genres, and have a desire to gain more skill in the craft and serve our audiences. In this role, you’ll be comfortable working across different shows, with different needs, and in different genres, and you’ll understand that podcasting isn’t just about making shows that you personally are interested in, but stories that play a role in the lives of our listeners.
APM Studios is a collaborative creative space - we want to help people make good ideas that are meaningful, funny, thought-provoking, joyful, and developed with high production values and ethics. Sounds interesting? Apply!
• Provide production support and backfill across APM Studios’ current slate of shows
• Provide production support for in-house show ideas and pilots
• Create research documents and suggested questions for reporting on narrative and other shows
• Assist with booking and reporting trip logistics
• Research guest ideas, book, and schedule guests
• Assist with proofreading and fact-checking
• Maintain show handbooks
• Edit the first draft of audio for show episodes, pilots, and promos in Pro Tools
• Create episode transcripts with the help of AI transcription program
• Work on collaborations with other shows or brands to produce original content
• Assist in posting audio, descriptions, and images online for APM Studios’ shows
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 3 years of radio/podcast production or similar experience.
, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Experience in audio production and digital audio editing.
• Experience in writing for radio or podcasts
• Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
• Demonstrated strong organizational and communication skills.
• An understanding of different podcast genres and formats
• Audio editing skills using Pro Tools.
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Possess solid story-telling ability.
• Ability to manage myriad daily details of production.
• Ability to be flexible and multitask on different projects under deadline pressure and to work collaboratively with other staff.
• Ability to evaluate content/quality/sound and act decisively.
• Resourcefulness and ability to solve problems and take initiative.
• Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative culture.
• Experience in audio or podcast environment
• Experience producing video, esp. for YouTube and digital distribution platforms.
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Required to move about in the community
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.