Director, Programming, Festivals
American Film InstituteLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Director, Programming is responsible for managing all aspects of programming across all AFI Festivals (AFI FEST, AFI DOCS, Meet the Press Film Festival), as well as year-round screenings. The Director, Programming collaborates with the Director, AFI Festivals on the festivals' programming and other aspects, including the following duties:
• In collaboration with the Director, AFI Festivals, develop the programmatic goals and strategy for all AFI film festivals.
• Articulate the programmatic goals and strategy to the international film community.
• Attend national and international film festivals to scout films and to raise awareness of AFI and the film festivals.
• Establish and maintain relationships with key individuals and organizations in the national and international filmmaking community including film talent, producers, agents, distributors, studios, guilds, publicists, film and cultural organizations.
• Oversee all creative and administrative aspects of programming functions for AFI's film festivals.
• Collaborate with the Director, AFI Festivals to oversee the selection of films for AFI's film festivals and year-round screening programs; this includes tracking, selecting and negotiating with producers, distributors, studios and sales companies to secure all films, including a number of high profile gala premieres.
• Lead and supervise both year-round and seasonal programming teams
• Collaborate with the Director, Production and Operations and AFI Human Resources to coordinate recruitment, interviews and selection of programming staff, ensuring adherence to AFI policies and procedures
• Create Festival timelines that incorporate the Festival Programming team's timeline as well as timelines by other AFI departments.
• In collaboration with the Director, Production and Operations, manage the Programming team's budget.
• Manage the screening process for up to 5,000 films; this includes tracking, identifying and ultimately securing desired films.
• Prepare and issue Festival invitation letters.
• Manage the creation and maintenance of the master film screening schedule (slotting) and implement systems and processes for internal and external distribution of the schedule.
• Oversee the writing and editing of synopsis copy for the festival's program guides, web site and other materials as needed.
• Collaborate with AFI Marketing and Communications on the development and production of all AFI festivals publications and any other programming related collateral; this includes overseeing the production of the the program guides, quick guides, and mobile apps for each festival.
• Collaborate with the Publicity team on the press release schedule and on the development of pitches and materials for media outlets and interviews.
• Oversee the scheduling, preparation and quality of film introductions, moderated Q&A sessions and post-screening discussions.
• Develop and manage panels, conversations and other festival events as needed.
• In collaboration with the seasonal Director, Theater Operations & Presentations, supervise the AFI Fest Theater Management team and lead training for in- theater protocol regarding film introductions, post-screening Q&A's and discussions, troubleshooting and interaction with filmmakers
• Collaborate with the Director, AFI Festivals and AFI Talent Director to invite and coordinate festival jury members.
• Oversee the Audience Awards balloting process across all festivals .
• Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
• Collaborate with AFI Marketing and Communications on the year-round development and updating of the festivals' websites, e-newsletters and social media presence.
• Meet regularly with department heads as needed to ensure that timelines, staffing, materials and budgets are on track.
• Oversee the FileMaker Pro Database Specialist in the archiving, updating and maintenance of the festivals' FileMaker Pro database.
• Create forms and records to document program activities; this includes collaborating with the Director, AFI Festivals on the festivals' annual post-event survey and preparing comprehensive post-festivals wrap reports.
• Collaborate with other Department/Program Heads as needed to ensure program needs are being met across the organization.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree required.
• Minimum eight years of programming experience at a major film festival.
• Minimum six years supervisory experience.
• An excellent public speaker who is comfortable presenting films and filmmakers, leading discussions, participating in panels and being interviewed by the media.
• Excellent knowledge of the history of film and filmmakers - American, International, Emerging, Classic.
• Strong knowledge of commercial, independent and international cinema professionals (agents, publicists, sales agents, distributors) and a sound understanding of film festival execution.
• Strong knowledge of the history of the commercial and independent business of film.
• Strong relationship within the independent film community and solid film industry contacts.
• A passion for film and television highly desirable.
• Knowledge of film festival theater and operations management.
• Exceptionally detail-oriented with the proven ability to handle numerous tasks with appropriate follow-up and reporting activities while not losing sight of the big picture.
• Proven project management skills with the ability to take a project from conception through completion.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong grammatical and proofreading abilities. This includes strong writing skills, especially in crafting compelling notes and synopsis for festival literature and materials for the web, quick guide and program guide.
• Possess a positive and professional attitude with the ability to work independently and as a member of a high-energy, results oriented team.
• Strong leadership, time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Ability to deal with rapidly shifting priorities.
• Strong diplomacy skills and professionalism are mandatory; this includes the ability to maintain complete confidentiality and discretion.
• Excellent computers skills with strong knowledge in FileMaker Pro and Microsoft Office suite of programs in a Mac environment.
• Proficient in social media and web applications (Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, YouTube, CMS).
• Ability to work calmly under pressure.
• Personal integrity and the ability to inspire confidence and trust.
• Must be able to work some evenings and weekends and be available by personal cell phone during non-office hours for time sensitive, business-related communications.
The Director, Programming performs all duties and responsibilities under the guidance and supervision of the Director, AFI Festivals.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online