Director, Business Affairs
American Film InstituteLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE
POSITION: Director, Business Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
LOCATION: Los Angeles Campus
The successful candidate is an expert in contract negotiations and contract management, ideally having experience within the non-profit sector. This business affairs leader is a problem solver who works effectively and collaboratively across the organization and with donors, sponsors and other third parties to recognize, crystallize and document opportunities, and resolve unforeseen issues, related to contract law, and to formulate legal agreements that are accurate, sound and effectively represent contract terms and committed deliverables. A proven leader and strong communicator, this individual is equally effective inspiring, influencing, mentoring and directing individuals and teams, and shares a passion for AFI's purpose, mission and values.
The Director, Business Affairs is responsible for the contractual business commitments of the American Film Institute, providing contract law expertise to the organization and ensuring the Institute meets its business affairs obligations.
Working closely with all levels across the AFI organization, from senior management to program/department heads and staff, this individual leads and coordinates Institute-wide and program-specific contract negotiations through the development/review of legal agreements and the performance of legal administration activities.
The Director, Business Affairs is the legal expert for AFI business-related activities across the organization and works closely and collaboratively with external third parties and AFI's external legal representation, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, on all non-personnel legal matters related to the Institute and its individual programs/departments, including AFI Conservatory, AFI Exhibition, AFI Archive, AFI Productions, AFI Special Events, AFI Operations and AFI Finance.
This role ensures AFI operates in accordance with the policies and procedures of the organization, and that the organization receives and fulfills the deliverables and consideration outlined in its legal agreements.
In addition to the above, specific duties include:
• Serve as the business affairs leader and liaison to the organization; foster and cultivate stakeholder relationships ranging from AFI staff to third party donors and sponsors; mentor AFI staff regarding legal best practices.
• Direct all aspects of the Institute's legal commitments - from contract development to review and execution - ensuring compliance with all applicable State and Federal regulations as applicable. The scope of work includes, but is not limited to:
- Venue/Service agreements
- Sponsorship/Grant agreements
- AFI facilities rental agreements
- AFI asset licensing agreements
- AFI trademark renewals
• Oversee the management and day-to-day coordination of all business affairs activities for the organization, including developing and maintaining policies and procedures for business affairs operations, and developing and maintaining internal controls, processes and procedures to ensure AFI's legal obligations are met.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the AFI President and CEO, AFI Chief Financial Officer, or their designee.
• Juris Doctor (J.D.) required.
• Licensed to practice in the State of California.
• Minimum five years of professional experience in Corporate Law or Entertainment law.
• Demonstrated experience as a successful Business Affairs expert at an arts/entertainment organization, or non-profit organization.
• Effective business negotiation and contract development skills.
• A commitment to excellence.
• Personal integrity and the ability to inspire credibility, confidence and trust.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, including outstanding written and verbal communication abilities. Possess the innate ability to mentor, and to establish and maintain rapport with others.
• Strong time management, organization and multi-tasking skills, coupled with the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Proven ability to handle numerous details and provide appropriate follow-up and resolution.
• Excellent computer skills with expertise in Microsoft Word in a Mac environment.
This position works under the supervision of the AFI Chief Financial Officer and interfaces closely with the AFI senior management team and AFI program/department heads and staff across the organization.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online