AmazonCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Do you love music? Do you have a knack for discovering artists & bands long before everyone else does? Does your thirst for knowledge about all things music-related drive you? Are you a dynamic individual that lives to be on the cutting edge of technology and pop culture? Then read on!
Amazon Music is seeking a Music Programmer to curate music content and drive engagement with our US streaming services based in Los Angeles. The Programmer will be part of The US Music Programming Team, responsible for creating, managing and optimizing musical content for listeners, including playlists and stations. He/She/They will also contribute to non-programming tasks and projects such as coordinating on behalf of Music Programming for cross-functional marketing efforts; providing input on tooling improvements and the publishing process; planning content around an editorial calendar and new release schedule, etc,.
Along with solid experience in music curation or programming (or industry equivalent), the candidate must be music-obsessed with an in-depth knowledge of current music and familiarity with most musical genres - a passion for Hip-Hop is a plus. This tech-savvy individual thrives in a fast-paced work environment and is comfortable owning entire work streams end-to-end, as well as collaborating with other team members on projects of a broader scale. The ability to balance long-term strategic work with day-to-day execution is also key, as we constantly seek to expand and improve the listening experience for Amazon Music customers.
• Serve as one of Amazon Music's expert music programmers for a portfolio of specific stations and playlists across multiple genres as designated by Team Leader.
• Update and/or curate assigned stations and playlists using Programming tenets and data from Amazon tooling on a regular cadence (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly). Monitor and report on performance of 'owned' programming.
• Apply extensive music knowledge while working with Amazon Music's genre experts to help craft new and existing hand-curated programming for Amazon Music's growing customer base including 'specialty' (i.e. music festival or award show-inspired) and 'seasonal' (holiday, summer, etc.) playlists and stations.
• Analyze available external and internal data on stations, playlists, artists and individual tracks – to inform understanding of customer tastes and identify trends to optimize customer experience.
• Enhance discovery of priority playlists and stations - working with Voice Content teams - to ensure ideal user experience on Alexa.
• Design and/or implement curation-related processes and help identify areas where new processes and mechanisms will aid in team efficiency.
• Work cross-functionally with all Music Programming team leads - as well as product, tech, catalog, and voice content teams – around special projects, product launches, innovations and ongoing initiatives.
• Liaise with representatives on other Amazon Music teams including Label and Artist Relations, Marketing, and PR, on shared projects and strategies.
• Integrate into overall team work streams (music programming and programming-adjacent) and contribute to team goals and strategies.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
• 3 years work experience in music programming (radio or digital curation), editorial, A&R, or a related role.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of Pop music, including Hip-Hop and R&B, as well as a variety of music styles and genres.
• Music Industry knowledge.