Avp Engine Engineer
Amazon StudiosCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Amazon Virtual Production (AVP) is looking for an AVP Engine Engineer for our Unreal-based system. Your office will be on the set of a massive stage in Culver City driving gorgeous photo-real worlds onto our new AVP LED Volume. Your job will be interfacing with on-set production crew to meet their demands of the Unreal system. During the shooting phase of your work, you are in the hot seat. The director, DP, VFX Supervisor, and Virtual Production Supervisor are just some of the personalities that may come to you to make adjustments in Unreal. Other times, you will be developing the AVP Unreal system via Blueprint tools.
During shooting, you will be the focus of attention on-stage as the primary Unreal operator. You will prepare Unreal levels for an in-camera VFX shooting environment in collaboration with the Virtual Production Supervisor. You will assist the AVP Engine Supervisor with the Unreal setup, calibration, and operation. Work with the VAD and VFX teams to ensure quality and integrity of digital assets. Work with the AVP Engineering Supervisor to maintain a color pipeline for Production. Work with your direct supervisor to advanced UE4 tools via blueprinting. Work with all departments to establish on-set workflows and support all relevant stakeholders with GUI interfaces relevant to their on-set responsibilities.
In addition to blueprinting during non-shooting times, you may be asked to overlap into VAD territory. You will draw on your DCC experience to create digital assets: environments, vehicles, digital sets, props, FX systems, animation, everything and anything you can bring to the table. Our goal is photo-reality, so your best asset here will be your keen eye for photo-realism or team up with one who does. Useful tools to execute this vision is an understanding of ray-tracing, lighting, composition, and everything else that will aid in making it REAL. Constantly advancing the Unreal system is an enormous effort and you will have enormous support.
As part of Amazon Studios, AVP is leading a creative plan to help filmmakers bring their projects to life in a safe, innovative, and inspired art facility. You must be a builder at heart and a collaborator in spirit. This position will work closely with key creatives, production, and the insanely talented technology crew of Amazon/AWS to constantly inspire the filmmaking process. Join us at the beginning of our global Virtual Production initiative. We will obsess over the filmmaker and the filmmaking process. Our goal is to enhance the traditional ways of filmmaking and invent new ways to use technology to enhance the art of storytelling. This is ground zero for creating the Amazon Global Filmmaking Network, inclusive of stages, services, filmmaker tools, and the cultivation of talent behind the magic. Spearheading this monumental effort is the opening of our new AVP LED Volume stage. On Day 1, the stage will connect globally to teams of collaborators in the cloud. Our new filmmaker workflows will ensure safety, limit exposure, add flexibility to schedules, and bring creative talent together in innovative ways.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Ingest and validate digital assets from external Virtual Art Departments (VAD).
• Provide guidance for external VADs for ASVP pipeline.
• Stress test digital assets for real-time manipulation of production creatives.
• Set up levels for virtual worlds and maintain engine operation during live action shooting.
• Track assets from internal teams/external vendors and integrate into ASVP engine department.
• Assist with maintaining version control for on-set assets.
• Assist in creating pitch-vis and materials for production plans.
• Assist in creating pre-production art, pre-vis, and ?nal pixels assets for live action VP photography.
• Contribute to the development and operation of the Amazon digital asset management system for locations, vehicles, architecture, characters, props and any other CG asset for the story.
• Contribute to the development of custom pipelines when necessary for projects with speci?c creative and/or technological needs (including new technology) in collaboration with Amazon's engineering teams and existing, turn-key solutions.
• Test new world building software, plug-ins, and methodologies.
• Maintain a high level of visual quality as well as signal quality of digital assets.
• Participate in daily and weekly reporting of production work.
• Must have expert knowledge of UE4 and of UE4 blueprinting.
• Advanced Unreal operator and developer. You will be working directly with Epic/Amazon/AWS/other engineers and supervisors.
• Have the ability to extend the tools in the toolbox with UE4 Blueprinting to make the ASVP system more e?cient, faster, and robust.
• Must be a builder, self-starter, curious, deep diver, big thinker, honest, resourceful, inventor, story-teller, have a tremendous bias for action, and work well in a small, multi-disciplinary, specialized team.
• High ability to trouble shoot complex integrated systems of computers, video recording systems, software, and other sensor driven systems