Spring Intern - Abc7 Evening News
Part Time Unpaid Internship
ABC7 Evening News Internship (KABC-TV) - Spring 2020
KABC-TV is an ABC owned television station (OTVS), located in a state-of-the-art facility in Glendale, near downtown Los Angeles. The station is in the #2 ranked television market in the country. Weekly, ABC7 produces over forty-four hours of local news, public affairs, magazine programs and public service campaigns. You will have opportunity to observe and participate in the daily work and operations of a major market television station.
A day in the life…
You will have opportunity to observe and participate in the daily work and operations of a major market television station. As the Evening News intern, you may:
• Attend production meetings.
• Assist the assignment desk.
• Answer phones and conduct beat checks.
• View and log tapes.
• Transcribe interviews.
• Research news topics (including online/social media news research) and assist with social media postings.
• Aid in the planning of news series.
• Observe editors, writers, producers, directors, and technical crews.
• Travel with reporters and field crews for stories and live remotes on occasion.
What you bring to the role...
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Experience with MS Office.
• Major or previous coursework in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related major.
• Junior or Senior-level standing, or a recent graduate within 6 months of graduation date.
• Courses taken in producing/writing/editing (Preditor).
• Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print and/or broadcast); television, news and new media production; and/or television news script writing.
• Previous internship in a professional newsroom/local news affiliate.
• Thorough knowledge/experience using social media.
• Knowledge of news software such as ENPS.
• All candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
• All candidates must be at least 18 years old.
• All candidates must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship.
• All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session.
• All candidates must be able to work in the Glendale office and provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship.
• All candidates must be available from January - May
• All candidates must be available to work 16 hours/week, possibly up to 32 hours.
• Shifts available are 3:00 pm-11:00 pm.
About Media Networks:
The Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC Holding Company, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Media Networks.
ABC Holding Company, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.