Vice President - Music Business Affairs
Full Time Job
Vice President - Music Business Affairs (Legal Counsel)
The Music Business and Legal Affairs department of the Walt Disney Television Group is seeking an exceptional music attorney with a minimum of 10 years of experience in television production or related experience. The ideal candidate must have excellent negotiating, drafting and analytical skills and must be able to make quick decisions, understand both the business affairs and legal affairs perspectives in evaluating a particular course of action, and work comfortably and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
• Negotiating and drafting agreements for creative and production personnel involved in the creation and production of original score, songs and/or recordings to be created for television and new media productions (including composer agreements, songwriter agreements, producer agreements, music supervisor agreements and other acquisition agreements).
• Responding timely and quickly to music issues that arise during the production process (such as on-camera issues, fair use issues, clearance issues, pre-records, record company and publishing waivers, budget issues, union and guild issues and immigration issues).
• Negotiate and draft unique music partnership agreements such as joint venture soundtrack album agreements and participation agreements.
• Advising on rights and uses of musical content in television and new media productions, marketing and promotions, publicity and other ancillary uses. .
• Working closely with and managing the music licensing team to ensure all required in-show and promotional rights are secured and to assist in the review of music licenses as necessary.
• Advising on copyright and intellectual property issues involving music, and negotiating with copyright owners on TV music issues.
• Knowledge of and experience with union and guild rules relating to the production and exploitation of musical content (including issues and rules pertaining to original made for new media productions, new use and re use, on-camera appearances and pre-records) .
• Advising and counseling other business units with respect to the music-related portions of agreements involving talent and exploitation of productions and negotiating and drafting the music provisions for such agreements (such agreements may include co-production agreements, joint venture agreements, executive producer agreements, actor agreements and series and other content licenses).
• Reviewing and developing boilerplate agreements with repeat vendors.
• Expert understanding of business and legal concepts concerning music and TV and the ability to proactively and efficiently manage multiple projects and business partners at the same time. Strategic understanding of music distribution issues from a television network and distributor perspective.
• 10 years of experience in television production or related experience.
• Extensive experience in negotiation and drafting in the entertainment field.
• Ability to work independently and reliably in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
• Prior production and distribution experience strongly preferred or other entertainment, media, or new media related experience.
• Established relationships with record companies, music publishers, managers and agents.
• Must be a licensed attorney.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.