Spring Intern - Penn Ave / Global Affairs
Part Time Unpaid Internship
The ABC News Pennsylvania Ave Unit covers the White House, Capitol Hill, Pentagon and the State Department. Our reporters and producers support all the major broadcasts and digital platforms, covering political events and the fallout from one of the most divisive elections in history.
The Global Affairs Team in the Washington Bureau is responsible for working with Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz, covering issues of national security, the military, and diplomacy.
A day in the life…
You will be in the center of a constant news cycle, stemming from events on everything from White House and State Department briefings to Senate and House hearings.
• Assisting in the daily editorial research, reporting and writing for all platforms with special emphasis on digital
• Monitoring social content; locating and researching elements for broadcast pieces, placing reporting calls, and assisting our producers in the field at events/stakeouts
• Assisting with logging tape, and attending press conferences and hearings
• Helping with spot production – assisting on local shoots and in the edit room
• Opportunities exist for writing articles, and producing video shorts for dotcom/digital
What you bring to the role...
• Completed coursework in politics, international affairs, and current events and journalism
• Excellent research, writing and editing skills
• Strong editorial judgment and political news awareness
• Attention to detail
• Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (broadcast and/or print)
• Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel
• Basic digital editing skills
• Strong customer service skills
• Strong familiarity with social media news outlets
• Preferred Junior or Senior, or a recent graduate within 6 months of graduation date
• Previous internship experience in a professional newsroom setting
• Prior experience generating story ideas and pitches
• Familiarity with CMS (content management systems)
• Knowledge/familiarity with major issues in politics and policy
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
• Must be willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area and provide your own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
• Must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
• Must be available from January to May
• Must be willing to work 20 hours/week
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.