Spring Intern - Justice / Investigative Unit
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Justice/Investigative Unit Internship, ABC News (DC)- Spring 2020
The Justice and Homeland Security team is headed by Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas, and covers criminal justice, crime, and terrorism stories for all ABC News platforms.
The Investigative Unit covers breaking news and long term projects with a focus on government related issues.
A day in the life…
• Work under the direction of the unit producers
• Assist with researching stories, setting up interviews, pitching story ideas, logging tapes, and occasionally assisting out in the field on shoots
• Assisting the correspondents with day-of-air stories and long-term projects
What you bring to the role…
• Demonstrated interest in journalism and reporting, and/or intern experience in a newsroom
• Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel
• Basic digital editing skills
• Strong customer service skills
• Strong familiarity with social media news outlets
• Journalism, English, or criminal justice majors
• Previous internship experience in a professional newsroom setting
• Strong research, writing and editing skills; preferably experience within print or online publications, or for television broadcast
• Previous experience and/or coursework in television production
• Proficiency in non-linear, digital video editing (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, and/or AVID)
• Prior experience generating story ideas and pitches
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
• Must be willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area and provide your own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
• Must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
• Must be available from January to May
• Must be willing to work 24 hours/week
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.