Senior Producer, Race & Culture
ABCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Producer, Race & Culture (ABC News Longform)
Are you ready to lead an emerging reporting vertical at ABC News? Are you committed to telling stories of people that are often overlooked and underreported? ABC News is looking for senior level producing talent to drive and expand our storytelling to present audiences with deeper reporting at the intersection of race, politics and culture. Across the landscape of ABC News programming, the network of Senior Producers will guide daily reporting and special coverage in a space that is dynamic and requires deeper investigation, delivering breaking news, relevant interviews and incisive investigative reports.
The Senior Producer reports to the Senior Executive Producer for 20/20 and the SVP Longform. He/She/They will also manage the editorial process as a show Senior Producer in a role that spans the Longform Unit and encompasses 20/20, specials in prime, and other longform projects.
You'd lead a dynamic, tight-knit team that works together to bring important news and impactful stories to audiences in an interesting, intelligent way.
• Responsibilities include developing ideas for daily stories on race & culture, managing the editorial process, line producing, and generating new ideas for future content. Candidates must be able to effectively manage story assignments and show production in addition to supervising junior staff. Candidates should have a minimum of ten years' experience in television journalism. The ideal candidate will offer creative and innovative ideas for better story-telling as well as have the ability to work under deadline. They will also collaborate with other network shows for joint projects or special features and brainstorm different story angles and ways to increase social media presence. Understanding of digital platforms and social media preferred.
• 10 years of journalism experience; Significant experience producing nonfiction longform content
• Significant reporting experience and sources in the area of Race & Culture
• The energy to juggle both show production and staff management;
• Insatiable curiosity - you just have to dig deeper to find the truth;
• Strong editorial judgement;
• Tenacity to pitch the stories you believe in; and
• Experience performing well under pressure - - think breaking news-type situations.
• A natural leader - you can inspire teams to bring their ''A'' game;
• A pro at social media and other digital tools; and
• Motivated: You're the person who can tackle any task – and wants to.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.