Reporter - Race & Politics
ABCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Reporter - Race & Politics, FiveThirtyEight (Project Hire)
FiveThirtyEight is seeking a reporter to write about politics and elections with a particular focus on race. This person will work both independently and in collaboration with colleagues across the newsroom to produce stories about U.S. politics, elections and how race and identity intersect with each. This is a Project position and employment will continue on this Project (at the company's sole discretion), and in no event shall extend past the completion of the Project.
• Write a mix of short and longer features each month that explore how race, identity and politics intersect.
• Work with the editing and interactive staff to develop and execute major projects.
• Collaborate with graphics editors, as well as audio and video producers.
• Work with the politics editor and other colleagues to help guide FiveThirtyEight's political coverage in general.
• Minimum of three years' experience as a reporter, data journalist, visual journalist or similar position at an online or print news outlet.
• Experience writing and reporting on issues of race and ethnicity.
• Experience covering U.S. politics.
• Experience working with data in some form.
• Experience writing and reporting on federal and state elections in an empirical or data-driven way for a wide audience.
• Experience working with academic and scientific research on politics, race and ethnicity.
• Statistical analysis skills.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.