Producer, ABC News
Full Time Job
Producer must be able to work independently and in conjunction with DC bureau managers and NY ABCNL managers. Prior production experience and proven technical skills required. Creative, innovative approach important. Candidate must be willing to work flexible schedules, including early mornings, nights, and occasional weekends.
Responsible for coordinating DC content and for producing content for the ABC News Live channel. - The ideal candidate is someone who is looking to tell truly compelling stories through video content with the most up to date information. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and have the ability to update stories throughout the day. This producer must be able to generate ideas, source video, solid news judgment, and work under tight deadline pressure. As a key member of our team they will be heavily involved in breaking news and keeping all content fresh every hour.
Qualified candidates are responsible for bringing multiple broadcasts to air, initiating coverage of breaking news and longer-term projects, making changes to stories and segments as they approach deadline. This individual will be tasked with getting the maximum input from our team of writers, producers, on-air talent and edit staff. Responsibilities include directing the flow of production, and maintaining strong relationships with people at various levels and in various disciplines of business and production. Helpful to have live control room experience and be well versed in graphics workflow, line producing, segment timing and studio operations. This position reports to the DC Coordinating Producer.
• Proactively work to help team identify and address problems quickly when they arise.
• Able to work with on-air talent, from a producing/writing perspective
• Have a strong grounding and appreciation for the 24/7 digital rhythm of news; and be passionate and excited about the future of news.
• Form and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with people at various levels, both within ABC News and outside the company, when it comes to a variety of disciplines production
• Someone with extremely strong writing and editorial skills and a proven track record of reporting or producing. They will also brainstorm different story angles and ways to increase social media presence. Understanding of digital platforms and social media preferred.
• The candidate must have at least three years experience in a news environment writing weekly or daily stories.
• Demonstrated great work ethic
• Ability to thrive under daily deadline pressures
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong editorial and production skills, including prior news coverage experience
• Strong organizational skills and ability to perform duties under deadline
• Prior video production experience in a fast-paced environment and an understanding of the current digital landscape of live streaming
• A willingness to work a variety of shifts, including evenings, overnights and weekends and thrive under daily deadline pressures
• A minimum of three (3) years journalism experience in a news environment is required.
• Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, high pressure work environment.
• Writing and reporting experience on a daily or weekly basis.
• Minimum five years of experience reporting/producing for a live news show at the large market, cable, or network level
• Experience working with union represented staff
• Previous management of a team a plus
• Ability to generate original story ideas and produce original stories for broadcast
• Desire to work in a collaborative, high pressure environment
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.