Executive Director - Business Affairs
ABCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Executive Director - Business Affairs (ABC News)
ABC NEWS BUSINESS AFFAIRS has an opening for an Executive Director, reporting to the Senior Vice President. Individual is a seasoned negotiator who is business-minded and understands the drivers of both broadcast and digital news; can manage the different business and legal aspects of long-form (and potentially digital); is expert at contract negotiating and reading, within news deadlines; can work on and close multiple deals simultaneously at the network level or similar; builds relationships quickly within the business (News Standards, Publicity, Legal, Shows) and across vendors and clients; is familiar with media and/or news practices.
• Negotiate talent contracts (for internal and external correspondents and producers), license and location agreements for ABC News shows and specials; negotiate with unrepresented talent, lawyers and agents all major deal points including compensation and production duties.
• Support and advise senior executives on key business issues and provide business and legal guidance to internal clients concerning production, broadcast show clearance and other issues as needed.
• Negotiate and prepare production contracts, including licensing deals or partnership agreements between shows and outside networks and companies.
• Maintain standards and procedures for the department while protecting the intellectual property of the network by guaranteeing uniformity in the licensing of the ABC brand, including news anchors and exclusive ABC content.
• Work with Legal, Production Teams and Finance on negotiating revenue splits, back-end participation and all deal points concerning delivery.
• Work with the ABC News group that executes outside licensing to cable companies; manage business issues and contract terms for original productions and co-production deals.
• Support Digital Group on content distribution deals - facilitating, negotiating and helping to structure the deals.
• Execute special projects for News Standards including negotiating partnership deals requiring editorial expertise and acting as the liaison in the areas of investigative reporting, politics, and non-profit grant funders like the Gates Foundation.
• Negotiate licensing agreements for studios, networks, and production companies that request footage from ABC, evaluating requests for aired and non-aired interview footage, while reviewing script submissions to approve or deny these requests.
• Handle contract negotiations with educational institutions for new content distribution deals, renewals and product fulfillment.
• Work with R&C staff that executes proper rights documentation and preparation of reports that are provided to International, Home Viewing, and Digital. In conjunction with the reports, advise of available windows for content distribution and their limitations on redistribution.
• At least 10 years' experience in media, business/corporate law.
• Must have strong familiarity and understanding of both broadcast and long form platform protocols.
• Must have understanding of News Standards and Copy Right/Property Law.
• Must have outstanding writing, reviewing and negotiating of contracts.
• Must have demonstrated ability executing licensing to cable and SVOD companies; managing business issues and contract terms for original productions and co-production deals.
• Must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Must be superior at building and maintaining internal and external relationships.
• 12 years' experience in media, business/corporate law; Project and staff management highly desirable. Production background preferable.
• Juris Doctor
• JD MBA (or other business degree)
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.