Director - Podcast Programming, News Radio
ABCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
ABC News is looking for a candidate to fill the newly created position of Director of Podcast Programming, reporting to the VP/GM of ABC Radio with dotted lines to executives in long form IP programming. The Director of Podcast Programming will build on the success of launched products such as The Drop Out, 10% Happier and Start Here and design a fresh powerhouse podcast network at ABC News harnessing the talent, resources and storytelling ability of the entire news division and Walt Disney Television.
• Content Development
• Identify audio storytelling opportunities across ABC News by leveraging existing talent and assets and developing original IP
• Develop workflows for working with a mix of ABC News staff and outside freelancers
• Build and lead production teams to work on a variety of types of podcasts, from dailies to long form
• Establish a structured environment for creative work
• Collaborate, plan and execute with executives and producers in ABC's long form programming units to maximize and exploit IP material central to non-fiction, narrative storytelling
• Manage show development lifecycle from greenlighting to release and beyond
• Serve as Executive Producer of the network's stable of podcast content
• Develop and manage budgets for each show
• Ensure alignment with ABC News editorial guidelines and mission
• Review content and presenter performance
• Audience Development
• Develop and execute a strategy for building an ABC News podcast network
• Coordinate with other Disney brands on podcast audience development
• Work cross-functionally with video brands, product development, analytics, and sales groups to identify opportunities to support brand initiatives and maximize audience growth
• Work with our Business Development team to develop audience acquisition strategies for ABC News podcasts; manage overall audience development testing strategy -- including funnel optimization, distribution channel mix and headline and image optimization
• Partner with sales and distribution team to ensure programming is monetized and revenue goals are met
• Coordinate show launches and marketing with division wide partners
• Strategize across shows and brands to ensure that Planning, Engagement, and Audience Development departments are leveraging the original content being produced
• Work with other digital teams to develop and implement engagement strategies across platforms
• A leadership approach that fosters collaboration, innovation and inclusion
• At least 10 years of experience in editorial roles
• Proven experience in audio/podcast/radio production or digital media
• Preference for a podcast native who has spent years immersed in the space
• Proficiency with industry standard analytics tools as well as custom platform reporting
• Ability to present feedback and recommendations to stakeholders across various internal and external teams to influence decision-making
• Driven self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively across multiple departments and disciplines in a fast-paced environment
• Deep knowledge of digital media landscape
• Experience managing cross platform teams
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.