Senior Editor, Race & Culture
ABC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Editor, Race & Culture (ABC News Digital)
The Senior Editor of Race and Culture will define and build the Race & Culture vertical across all ABC News' digital and social properties. S/he will also be responsible for leading cross-platform projects across ABC News to ensure robust digital engagement on stories that connect with audiences at the intersection of race, politics, and culture. The Senior Editor of Race and Culture will also be responsible for vetting and assigning stories across digital, including working closely with the digital teams at GMA and 538, the broader digital video unit and social teams.
The Senior Editor will report into the Managing Editor of ABC News Digital.
• Manage the editorial process including writing and reporting on digital stories on race and culture, developing futures pitches, and managing daily digital story assignments on race and culture across the news organization.
• Partner closely with the Managing Editors of ABC News Digital, GMA Digital, and 538 to develop multi-platform digital projects and stories.
• Working closely with the digital video team, the Senior Editor will also be responsible for creating video franchises in the Race & Culture vertical.
• S/he will partner with any shows that are producing Race & Culture projects to ensure accompanying digital coverage including coordinating with producers and writing digital stories.
Please apply if you have:
• Excellent editorial judgment
• 7 years of journalism experience
• Significant reporting experience and sources in the area of Race & Culture
• Experience with digital media platforms including social media platforms
• Insatiable curiosity - you just have to dig deeper to find the truth
• Tenacity to pitch the stories you believe in
• Experience performing well under pressure - - think breaking news-type situations.
It would also be nice if you are:
• Proficient in relevant languages, including Spanish
• A natural leader - you can inspire teams to bring their ''A'' game;
• A pro at social media and other digital tools; and
• Motivated: You're the person who can tackle any task – and wants to.
• You have a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.