Vice President, Tax Counsel
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Vice President – Tax Counsel
The Vice President – Tax Counsel will report to the Sr. Vice President of Tax (Head of Tax) and act as a lead planner for a wide array of domestic and international tax issues that impact the company's and partners' tax positions.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Conduct in-depth legal research and analysis of tax issues related to transactions (acquisitions, dispositions, reorganizations, and commercial deals), operations, transfer pricing, partner tax issues and reporting, program tax accounting, and other areas with domestic and global tax consequences to the company and its partners.
• Provide the department with technical tax analysis in all areas of tax research and planning, with specific emphasis on A&E international operations and the effects of Tax Reform.
• Collaborate with other tax department personnel to develop and implement audit strategies, prepare supporting memoranda, responses, audit protests, and related documentation supporting financial statement and tax return positions.
• Advise corporate development, treasury, human resources, payroll, and legal/business affairs teams in the US and internationally on the tax aspects of specific transactions or business initiatives.
• Provide tax advice and structuring for state and local production tax credits and incentives.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
In this position, you will have the opportunity to strengthen the Tax Department from a technical standpoint while deepening your knowledge of the entertainment business. Your work will enable the Tax Department to take on a more pro-active role with the business units, partners, and outside consultants and to develop and improve effective processes around both internal/external reporting requirements. You will be responsible for highly technical and complex domestic and international tax strategies and compliance matters involving A&E legal entities, including advising on tax issues in transactional matters, drafting and negotiating deal terms, managing A&E's implementation of Tax Reform, providing legal research in support of audits, reviewing tax filings and returns, advising on tax reporting positions, and reviewing intercompany transfer pricing arrangements.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• Strong analytical and tax technical abilities in both domestic and international tax areas.
• 6-8 years of relevant experience.
• Superior oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to liaise in a collaborative manner with both internal and external partners.
• Strong international tax experience preferred.
• Law firm with M&A tax experience preferred.
• LLM graduate degree in Taxation preferred.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Most people don't realize the importance of the Finance department in keeping our business operating without hitches and delays. That's probably because we oversee many of the more quietly glamorous, back-office functions that drive our bottom line. We not only forecast, build and manage budgets, we also collect and analyze important data that helps leadership make the best decisions. All of this sounds exciting to you because you love numbers and spreadsheets, and especially love great entertainment.