Vice President Of Legal & Business Affairs
A+E NetworksLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Vice President of Legal & Business Affairs
The Business Affairs team in the Los Angeles office is looking for a Vice President of Legal & Business Affairs to draft and negotiate agreements relating to the development, licensing, and/or production of scripted programming for all networks within the A E Networks portfolio including A E Studios.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Vice President of Legal & Business Affairs:
• Negotiate, draft and finalize a variety of production, co-productions, license, distribution, acquisition and development deals, including above-the-line talent agreements and rights agreements.
• Create and maintain form templates to be used interdepartmentally to insure all business and legal affairs documents remain consistent.
• Craft new language based upon novel provisions negotiated in each particular deal and respond to comments received from external counsel.
• Provide business affairs team, executives and client groups, labor and legal advice on production and programming issues.
• Manage any and all legal issues, including labor, copyright, location, guild, talent, digital rights, insurance, risk, marketing, promotion and budgeting issues related to scripted programming.
• Maintain relationships with both internal and external clients, as well as counterparts at other studios and networks and with the many members of the representation community.
• Remain current with the latest industry trends and our competition's positions to insure we comport with industry standard and maintain strong negotiation leverage.
• Extensive knowledge of entertainment law, entertainment transaction (in cable television/studio) and strong relationships within the industry.
• Impeccable skills as a draftsperson with the ability to compare and challenge precedent.
• In-depth knowledge concerning labor (union and non-union) issues and strong understanding of guild agreements.
• An ability to defend, articulate and structure industry-specific definitions, e.g., backend definitions.
• The ideal candidate will have 5 years' experience as an attorney (including some significant law firm work) with several years at a major network or studio.
• Qualified candidates must be members of the California and/or New York Bar(s), should possess excellent drafting and organizational skills and be polished and poised in communicating and presenting with an to executives, internal clients and the outside entertainment community
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.