Vice President Of Legal & Business Affairs
A+E NetworksLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.
THE ROLE: Vice President of Legal & Business Affairs
The Business Affairs team in the Los Angeles office is looking for a Vice President of Legal & Business Affairs to draft and negotiate agreements relating to the development, licensing, and/or production of scripted programming (with particular emphasis on series) for A E Studios, as well as all networks within the A E Networks portfolio.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Vice President of Legal & Business Affairs:
• Negotiate, draft and finalize a variety of agreements relating to scripted programming, including, but not limited to, development and option/purchase agreements, above-the-line talent agreements, and production, and co-production agreements., .
• With other L&BA team members, create and maintain form templates to be used interdepartmentally to ensure all business and legal affairs documents remain consistent and meet evolving business needs and goals.
• Provide business guidance on production and programming issues to executives and client groups
• Maintain relationships with both internal and external clients, as well as counterparts at other studios and networks and with members of the representation community to remain current with the latest industry trends and our competition's positions to assist in maintaining strong negotiation leverage.
• Strong studio and/or network transactional negotiation experience; solid knowledge of entertainment law; and strong relationships within the industry.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills (including ability to work within a team collaboratively), as well as solid drafting skills, with the ability to compare and challenge precedent.
• Knowledge concerning labor (union and non-union) issues and understanding of guild agreements
• Familiarity with Canadian and US tax incentive programs.
• An ability to defend, articulate and structure industry-specific definitions, e.g., back end definitions.
• The ideal candidate will have 7 years' experience as an attorney (including some significant law firm work) with 3 years at a studio or network (studio preferred) .
• Qualified candidates must be members of the California and/or New York Bar(s)
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.