Story Editor, History Podcasts
A+E NetworksRemote, US
Full Time Job
Currently, all staff and non-staff are working remotely except for select roles that have an in office requirement. We value the health and safety of the people that work for us above all else, and our office re-openings will remain contingent on the course of the COVID variants and federal, state and local safety guidelines and recommendations.
The Role: Story Editor, HISTORY PODCASTS
A+E Podcasts is seeking a Story Editor, HISTORY Podcasts to enhance and guide the editorial voice of our growing network of narrative, chat, and nonfiction podcasts. The Editor will be involved in every aspect of a story's development, guiding it from inception, to pitch, to final version.
The ideal candidate is an experienced storyteller with a journalism background, capable of leading a team of producers across a wide range of podcasts that vary in tone, subject-matter and style. We are looking for someone who thinks deeply about structure and understands that historical narratives are deeply nuanced and rarely black-and-white.
• Identify and develop everything from episode pitches to full series creative briefs.
• Story edit episodes across multiple HISTORY series.
• Provide day-to-day editorial guidance/oversight for producers working on HISTORY shows.
• Oversee and enforce editorial, journalistic, and fact-checking standards to ensure the accuracy and integrity of everything HISTORY Podcasts puts out.
• Help producers identify and source guests/experts/talent who offer unique and diverse points of view.
• Identify any holes in the current slate of episodes/series – i.e. what stories are we not telling?
• Liaise with key talent/hosts, internal teams, and production partners regarding A+E editorial standards.
• 5+ years' experience editing and/or producing narrative stories, at least some of which must be in the audio space.
• Prior journalistic experience is strongly preferred.
• A creative leader who enjoys working closely with a team of talented, thoughtful producers and hosts.
• A person who deeply values representation in storytelling and diversity of perspective.
• An excellent communicator and collaborator who can work with a range of personalities and experience-levels.
• A decisive and organized leader with high creative standards who offers thoughtful, constructive critique in order to produce the best show possible.
• An innovator who is interested in exploring new formats and pushing the boundaries of audio storytelling.