Senior Analyst, Global Rights
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Senior Analyst, Global Rights
The Senior Analyst, Global Rights manages the process of accurate legal review and rights management entry of Digital and International Content sales agreements. These actions require an in-depth knowledge of complex media platform rights, review of license terms (including exclusivity, holdbacks, renewals and other legal nuances), and problem-solving skills, all within a quick turnaround time mandated by sales and finance.
The position is critical to multiple departments within the company such as; Finance (since Finance relies solely on the rights management database for their revenue recognition, billing and collection); Digital Content Sales (confirming program rights and the ability to do sales); International Content Sales (for availability accuracy), International Programming fulfillment; Royalty Accounting (producer profit participation payments). This position's legal knowledge and accuracy in systems use directly affects the opportunity for increased sales revenue, as well as preventing breach of contract due to mis-use of rights which leads to costly litigation.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Perform legal review and rights interpretation of content sales agreements and manage the process of capturing the rights and terms into our rights management database.
• Generate and review reports on the programs being offered that indicate:
• Rights Collisions - are there any programs that are restricted due to limitation of our rights to the program.
• Sales Collisions – are there any programs that are restricted due to commitments to another buyer.
• Update the database when new content is ordered (refreshes and renewals), and when changes in the agreements and amendments arise.
• Support Manager in the legal review, interpretation and coordination of complex International channel partner deals between the International Sales Team and the rights management database which is necessary to understanding rights availability for content sales
• Provide management with requested reports, work on special ad hoc projects as needed with IT, Finance and Legal.
YOUR STORY: [+BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• Three to five years' experience performing legal analysis of various forms of programming and distribution agreements with complex media rights and terms.
• Must have experience in working in a rights management system, generating reports, and entering legal rights data. Specific experience working in Jaguar System 7 Universal Rights Management and/or FilmTrack rights tracking software is a plus.
• There is a high level of decision-making in this position and a high level of productivity and accuracy expected, as is an ability and willingness to work within a team environment.
• The position is client-facing and service-oriented, so excellent interpersonal and written communication skills are essential. Must also possess an ability to discuss technology issues with members of IT staff and clients is critical as well. The analyst must have strong-multitasking skills and have extensive experience with various troubleshooting methods.
• Attention to detail, high degree of familiarity with databases, interpersonal skills, problem-solving skills, ability to escalate matters to the corresponding stakeholder(s) is key.
• Prior experience working at a broadcast or cable network, film studio, television distribution company, entertainment law firm, or comparable business specializing in entertainment/media transactions.
• Legal knowledge of linear and multiplatform distribution rights, preferred.
• Excellent excel skills required.
• Required Education: BA/BS Degree, JD a plus.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:
If you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.