Product Designer, Web, Mobile, and Emerging Platforms
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Product Designer (UX/UI): Web, Mobile, and Emerging Platforms
A E Networks is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, and multi-disciplinary team player with a passion for all things digital to join our Digital Media team in New York. We want a product designer who will dig in to understand A E's users and deliver customer-centric experiences across our portfolio that elevate our digital products and meet business objectives.
The Product Designer will be integral to the creative process and play a key role in the conception, design, and innovation of our TV Everywhere (TVE) products that are shaping the television/video industry. This position will work side-by-side with diverse product team members (on brands such as A&E, History, Lifetime, and FYI) to produce beautiful, compelling, and useful products that span across digital platforms and include executions on desktop, tablet, smartphone, and emerging platforms such as Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Smart TVs, and whatever comes next.
The ideal candidate must have a portfolio presenting intuitive design solutions for web, mobile, and/or OTT applications and demonstrate strong interface design skills based on principles of design and user-centered design methodologies.
The Product Designer should possess the ability to create interactive prototypes and must be comfortable presenting design solutions to stakeholders.
• Effectively communicate and collaborate with design team, product team, and extended digital media team to understand design and UX strategies, business needs, requirements, goals, and metrics, as well create a shared understanding of user needs throughout all phases of the product design process.
• Work closely with product team members (product owner, front-end developers, software engineers, designers, etc.) to develop best-of-breed digital products that meet the needs of users and drive business goals and objectives.
• Define, develop, and communicate UX direction via sketches, wireframes, user flows, interfaces, and prototypes.
• Capture quantitative data analyses paired with qualitative research methods to influence and validate design decisions.
• Provide guidance and assets throughout entire product design and development process to ensure design synergy across platforms and a stellar final product.
• Push the creative envelope and remain current with the latest technology, design trends, usability, and developments in mobile and emerging platforms in order to explore and experiment with the future of A E's product interfaces.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
The ideal Candidate:
• is smart, inquisitive, optimistic, humble, and hungry - with a great attitude and work ethic.
• is creative, empathetic, dependable, and enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• is passionate about being part of the next generation of television distribution.
• is ultra-curious about the digital world.
• will be able to connect the dots between the needs of users, requirements for business success, and the possibilities of technology.
• has the ability to speak confidently on behalf of the user's needs and defend ideas with user-centered arguments.
• can consistently work within our defined design process and use it to contextualize their work and the type of feedback they need in a given moment.
• can communicate clearly via email and face-to-face with stakeholders and the internal team.
• can multi-task and manage more than one project at a time.
• will share work early and often and can take feedback from cross-functional team members to enhance the product experience.
• will collaborate with team members to push their work to be the best it can be.
• has excellent problem-solving skills.
• understands constraints quickly.
• can work independently.
• has the ability to iterate quickly and work within an Agile/Scrum framework.
• is self-motivated with enthusiasm to constantly learn and grow.
• is an excellent team player with a positive attitude and strong relationship building skills.
• contributes to the culture of the design team by participating in other design-led projects, events and discussions, in order to spread design thinking and enthusiasm throughout the organization.
• BA in Design, Communication Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, or design related field. Continued education in UX/UI design related programs accepted.
• 3-5 years' experience in designing and prototyping for desktop, mobile, and/or over-the-top (OTT) applications.
• Portfolio that demonstrates strong visual and graphic design skills via intuitive and engaging UI design with a simple clean style and a pixel-level attention to detail.
• Have a strong design point of view and understanding of fundamental design principles, typography, layout, grid systems, hierarchy, color, and composition.
• Proficient in conducting various research methods such as competitive/comparative analyses, user surveys, user interviews, usability tests, and A/B testing.
• Proficiency in information architecture and interaction design.
• Understanding of interaction design concepts.
• Understand principles of website, mobile, and digital design in general (knowledge of streaming services and devices is a plus).
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, prototyping tools, Optimizely, Amplitude and User Testing.com.
• Solid presentation skills
• Working knowledge of HTML/CSS with strong desire to learn is desirable.
• Familiarity with established human interface guidelines (iOS, Android, game consoles, connected TVs, etc.).
• Entertainment industry experience a plus
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Were you the first kid on your block to get a PlayStation? Did you foresee the day when movies could be filmed on a phone and TV shows could be viewed on a wristwatch? The Digital team is made up of just such visionaries and early adaptors. We dream up new ideas for gaming, apps, and SVOD initiatives and generate engaging online content for our owned and operated websites. But if all that tech talk makes you glaze over, there's always 45th & Dean, our in-house digital content storytelling hub. It's a collective of talented writers, editors, motion graphics artists and producers who create content across all social media platforms as well as support our Ad Sales and Distribution teams. Our Editorial function, shared with Marketing, brings the voice, taste, and energy that brings our brands to life beyond linear.
THE ROLE: Product Designer (UX/UI): Web, Mobile, and Emerging Platforms