Product Design Director: Mobile and Emerging Platforms
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Product Design Director: Mobile and Emerging Platforms
A E Networks is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, and multi-disciplinary Product Design Director with a passion for all things digital to join our Digital Media team in New York. We are looking for a leader who will dig in to understand A E's users and deliver customer-centric experiences across our portfolio that elevate our digital products and meet business objectives.
The Product Design Director will be integral to defining the creative process and play a leadership role in the conception, design, and innovation of our TV Everywhere (TVE) and subscription based (SVOD) products that are shaping the television/video industry. This position will work side-by-side with diverse product team members (on brands such as A&E, History, Lifetime, and FYI) to produce beautiful, compelling, and useful products that span across digital platforms and include executions on tablet, smartphone, and emerging platforms such as Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Smart TVs, and whatever comes next.
The ideal candidate must have a strong portfolio presenting intuitive design solutions for mobile, and OTT applications and demonstrate strong UX/UI skills based on principles of design and user-centered design methodologies.
The Product Design Director should possess the ability to oversee, guide, and direct multiple products at the same time in order to ensure a unified design approach across the portfolio of digital products.
• Effectively communicate and collaborate with design, product, tech, and extended digital media team to define UX strategies, and understand business needs, requirements, goals, and metrics, as well create a shared understanding of user needs throughout all phases of the product design process.
• Work closely with product team members (product owner, front-end developers, software engineers, designers, etc.) to develop best-of-breed digital products that meet the needs of users and drive business goals and objectives.
• Ownership of high-level strategy and oversight of product design across mobile, tablet, smart TVs, and OTT devices.
• Provide strong direction to designers across the team.
• Co-ownership and lead role in creation and governance of design system.
• Define, develop, and communicate UX direction via sketches, wireframes, user flows, interfaces, and prototypes.
• Capture quantitative data analyses paired with qualitative research methods to influence and validate design decisions.
• Provide guidance throughout entire product design and development process to ensure design synergy across platforms and a stellar final product.
• Push the creative envelope and remain current with the latest technology, design trends, usability, and developments in mobile and emerging platforms in order to explore and experiment with the future of A E's product interfaces.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
The ideal Candidate:
• is smart, inquisitive, optimistic, humble, and hungry - with a great attitude and work ethic.
• is creative, empathetic, dependable, and enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• is passionate about being part of the next generation of television distribution.
• is ultra-curious about the digital world.
• will be able to connect the dots between the needs of users, requirements for business success, and the possibilities of technology.
• has the ability to speak confidently on behalf of the user's needs and defend ideas with user-centered arguments.
• will play a lead role in defining and maintaining the design process and use it to contextualize the team's work and the type of feedback they need in a given moment.
• can communicate clearly via email and face-to-face with stakeholders and the internal team.
• can multi-task and manage more than one project at a time.
• will collaborate with team members to push their work to be the best it can be.
• has excellent problem-solving skills.
• understands constraints quickly.
• has the ability to iterate quickly and work within an Agile/Scrum framework.
• will be fully engaged with the design team and have complete understanding of design tasks within a sprint.
• will be expected to make decisions for products on a daily basis and own those decisions in product reviews.
• is self-motivated with enthusiasm to constantly learn and grow.
• is an excellent team player with a positive attitude and strong relationship building skills.
• actively contributes to the culture of the design team by facilitating design-led projects (e.g. Design Sprints), events and discussions, in order to spread design thinking and enthusiasm throughout the organization.
• BA in Design, Communication Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, or design related field. Continued education in UX/UI design related programs accepted.
• 10 years' experience in leading digital design with recent focus on mobile and over-the-top (OTT) applications.
• Portfolio that demonstrates strong visual and graphic design skills via intuitive and engaging UI design with a simple clean style and a pixel-level attention to detail.
• Experience leading, directing, and mentoring designers.
• Have a strong design point of view and deep knowledge of design principles, typography, layout, grid systems, hierarchy, color, and composition.
• Proficient in conducting various research methods such as competitive/comparative analyses, user surveys, user interviews, usability tests, and A/B testing.
• Subject matter expert in user-centered methodology, usability, experience design, information architecture, and interaction design.
• Expert with Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, prototyping tools, Optimizely, Amplitude and User Testing.com.
• Fantastic presentation/communication skills with the ability to clearly present design concepts, methodology, and the ''Why'' behind the design solution.
• Working knowledge of HTML/CSS
• Familiarity with established human interface guidelines (iOS, Android, game consoles, connected TVs, etc.).
• Entertainment industry experience a plus
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:
If you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Were you the first kid on your block to get a PlayStation? Did you foresee the day when movies could be filmed on a phone and TV shows could be viewed on a wristwatch? The Digital team is made up of just such visionaries and early adaptors. We dream up new ideas for gaming, apps, and SVOD initiatives and generate engaging online content for our owned and operated websites. But if all that tech talk makes you glaze over, there's always 45th & Dean, our in-house digital content storytelling hub. It's a collective of talented writers, editors, motion graphics artists and producers who create content across all social media platforms as well as support our Ad Sales and Distribution teams. Our Editorial function, shared with Marketing, brings the voice, taste, and energy that brings our brands to life beyond linear.