A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Privacy Counsel
A+E Networks has an open position in New York for a privacy attorney in a dual compliance and transactional role, providing guidance and support on data privacy and security matters across all A+E business divisions, including Technology, Engineering, Operations, Digital, Distribution, Research, Advertising, Marketing, HR, and Finance.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Oversee data privacy and security compliance, best practices, and risk management, to align the networks' internal procedures and external vendor and client relationships with shifting legal privacy frameworks (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, COPPA, and VPPA) and defend against evolving security threats, while facilitating the implementation of global initiatives, such as cloud migration and digital distribution.
• Draft and negotiate data privacy and security provisions in a wide variety of vendor and client agreements, with an emphasis on technology transactions (e.g., SaaS/cloud contracts, and MSAs and SOWs for all manner of managed and professional services).
• Work with stakeholders across the company to conduct pre-contract/pre-launch vendor and application privacy reviews, including administering privacy questionnaires and conducting privacy impact assessments.
• Develop and implement internal standards and procedures for the classification, management, and protection of personal data.
• Draft and update external online/mobile privacy policies, notices, and consents.
• Advise on, and oversee, the creation and operation of workflows to address data subject rights requests (e.g., access, correction, deletion).
• Manage the investigation and remediation of privacy complaints and data incidents, including by liaising with data protection authorities.
• Create and deliver effective training, and enhance awareness, around data privacy and protection, organization-wide.
• JD from an accredited law school, and member in good standing of New York State Bar.
• Minimum 5 years of legal experience, with preference given to prior experience in the entertainment and/or technology fields.
• Extensive knowledge of domestic and international data privacy and security legal frameworks.
• Exceptional ability to draft clear, precise transactional agreement and compliance policy language, without over-relying on pre-existing templates.
• Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and communication skills.
• Organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated team player, able to handle a high volume of work in a fast-paced environment, to take initiative and make decisions, and to be strategic and offer creative solutions.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
THE DIVISON'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.