Manager / Director Program Research
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Do numbers tell you stories? Can you relay complex information in bite-sized nuggets to non-researchers? Do you enjoy influencing business decisions by providing fact-based recommendations infused with intuition? Our Research and Insights Team is comprised of wizards who practice the craft of ''art and science.'' We spend much of our time looking back at performance - and even more time looking forward making actionable recommendations for growing our business. We specialize in content, audience and revenue insights across all platforms. Come check out our pioneering work in predictive modeling, performance marketing and algorithms. Pocket protectors not required.
THE ROLE: Manager/Director, PROGRAM RESEARCH
This position is the direct research contact across a number of departments including but not limited to: Finance, Corporate PR, A+E Studios, International, IT, Business Development, and Alternate Content. They will provide strategic insights to help make informed decisions for these units. They will also work on special projects for EVP and SVP.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Identify key project initiatives to provide new insights to EVP and SVP including planning and execution; Present data and insights in fresh and interesting ways to impact business decisions
• Compile, aggregate and analyze cross network viewing data for A+E Networks along with competitive brand portfolios
• Oversee forecasting and pacing documents across all networks for both linear and digital performance
• Work with brand teams to lead primary research initiatives for pilot, concept, and series maintenance testing on all A+E properties; Work closely with both internal and external partners to active testing
• Deliver insights and ratings trends to inform creative and identify opportunities for A+E internal studios
• Estimate the ratings impact of non-traditional revenue strategies across brands
• Ideate and build strategic presentations designed to inform company stakeholders of industry trends
• Collaborate with internal and external partners to build new research tools and reporting capabilities; maintain and enhance current tools
• Determine opportunities for Alternate Content Team. Work with Alternate Content team on identifying content that is proper to each brand
• Manage cross-brand reporting for daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly outputs
• Update and distribute key reports to our Parent Companies
• International Research point of contact
• Primary contact for all FYI network and program research needs, including estimates, program insights, and network performance.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
As the media industry grapples with fragmentation and disruption, a key facet of Research is to be the driving force in helping their company capture, report on, monetize, and understand audiences. An opportunity lies in Research to work across divisions and departments to create a unified language that ensures that internal clients understand-and take advantage of-complex metrics. The key is giving the necessary context so that decisions can be made. While this sounds disarmingly simple, it is a challenge to get the majority of the company to speak the same language and understand new vernacular. Research is a central force within the broader organization in gaining an objective perspective for a wide array of complex questions. It may sound academic – and certainly there is a portion of the job that requires a love of learning – but the primary attribute that will bring you success is curiosity. For example, you'll gain a deeper understanding of what motivates someone to tune into a show, buy a product based on placement of an ad, become a fan on social media, or why certain types of programs are successful across regions of this country and abroad. Ultimately, each research candidate gets a better understanding of the rigor that goes into making business decisions by uncovering not boulders, but pebbles along the path to connecting to A+E Networks core asset, its content.
YOUR STORY: [+BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• 4+ years of college
• Strong understanding of quantitative data, math, and/or statistics
• Solid analytical and communication skills
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Proficient in word/excel/PowerPoint
• 5-7 years of experience in Media Research
• Knowledge of Nielsen systems and Microsoft suite
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.