Director, Program Scheduling
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Currently, all employees are working remotely except for select roles that have an in office requirement. We value the health and safety of our people above all else, and our office re-openings will remain
contingent on the course of the COVID variants and federal, state and local safety guidelines and
recommendations. As we look forward, the majority of our employees will have flexibility that allows them to choose a predominantly remote, predominantly in-office, or hybrid setup.
Our official in-office locations in the United States includes LA, NYC, Stamford, and Chicago, and we have several other states in which employees may work remotely if their role isn't one that requires them to be in or near the office.
THE DIVISON'S STORY
As the saying goes, timing is everything - and no one understands that more than the Scheduling team. In addition to understanding the competitive landscape, we take deep analytical dives into the how's and when's of consumer behavior to ensure we always get the maximum number of eyeballs on our stories. Right next door in Acquisitions, we're focused on buying, licensing and using data to better understand our audience. We're also master negotiators who hate to lose, even if it's a game of ping-pong. Known for building relationships with key distributors, studios, independent producers and foreign network execs, we ensure Lifetime Nets are top of mind when, say, a multimillion-dollar theatrical movie package is being shopped. Do you thrive in a high-stakes, deadline-driven environment? We sure do.
THE ROLE: Director, Program Scheduling
This position is responsible for managing The History Channel weekly scheduling strategy, focused on non-prime daypart stunting and growth. This includes both linear and digital scheduling for The History Channel. By utilizing content across the A+E portfolio inventory this role is charged with maximizing ratings and creating an optimal, balanced lineup for Ad-Sales. Working with the SVP, Programming Strategy and VP, Scheduling & Acquisitions, the role helps shape the strategic network plans (both short and long term).
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Responsible for all aspects of non-prime scheduling, including daily, weekly, and quarterly schedules. This includes the timely release of information and schedules company wide.
• Ensure scheduling balance meets Ad-Sales needs and look at ways to find ancillary benefits with Sponsorships.
• Work closely with Research to ensure data analytics are applied to scheduling decisions to ensure successful performance of the network.
• Manage content being used digitally on O&O platforms to maximize exposure, drive ancillary revenue and provide promotional support to linear channels. The role will work with stakeholders to stunt playlists, determine in-front-of-the-wall offerings and provide strategic insights to help meet company performance metrics.
• Work with key stakeholders across multiple departments to disseminate scheduling information – including but not limited to Ad Sales, Traffic, Marketing, Press, Programming, Research, and Operations.
• Ensure all content is cleared for air, working with Legal/Rights Management and S&P to vet content prior to air as well as oversee upcoming schedules in the event of breaking news events that may warrant schedule changes.
• Work across brands with counterparts at History and Lifetime to ensure collaboration occurs and scheduling conflicts are minimized.
• Monitor competitive performance for potential acquisition opportunities.
• Supervise one scheduling coordinator – overseeing their daily workflow and responsibilities.
• Lead, train, teach, motivate and grow each staff member in the advancement of their careers.
• Lead as a brand representative in both internal, Sr. Level meetings when needed as well as external events
YOUR STORY: [+BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• This position balances the many requirements and needs of the network to deliver maximum ratings and revenue through strategic planning and cross-network collaboration. Knowledge of our audience base, needs of other departments within the company and tracking industry trends are all key to success. This individual must have a high attention to detail, be able to re-prioritize workflow on a moving basis and be a highly strategic thinker and problem solver.
• The position must work well both independently as well as in a group setting, both in their department and out of it. Knowledge of what trends are working in the industry and the ability to provide creative direction and feedback to programmers is an important element of the role. The role will work closely with both the VP and SVP of scheduling to vet and approve network schedules.
• Minimum 5 years' experience in TV scheduling or equivalent
• Able to bring in and support diverse points of views, can collaborate across teams and can accommodate different work styles.
• College Degree
• Strong knowledge of television and film as well as pop-culture trends.
• Experience managing others
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:
If you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.