Director, Legal & Business Affairs - Marketing / Promotions
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Director, Legal & Business Affairs - Marketing/Promotions
A+E Networks has an open position in New York for a transactional attorney who will provide support to a wide variety of internal groups dedicated to the marketing and promotion of the entire A+E Networks' portfolio, as well as divisions commissioning, licensing, and/or producing scripted and unscripted content for the brands.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Draft, review, and/or negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements for various internal divisions, including Marketing, Ad Sales, Partnerships, PR, Production, and Photography-such as master service agreements, statements of work, confidentiality agreements, work-for-hire agreements, production releases, influencer agreements, sponsorship agreements, license agreements, and partnership/co-promotional agreements. Handle other transactional matters as assigned.
• Draft/review sweepstakes and contests rules and corresponding documents for promotions held across all platforms for the A+E brands. This includes drafting official rules, indemnification letters, affidavits of eligibility, and releases.
• Review, and provide counsel, regarding proposed advertising/marketing materials and initiatives to ensure compliance with law (including FTC endorsement guides), relevant third-party contracts/relationships, and internal policies and best practices. Provide internal clients with legally sound and practical counsel that involves a range of legal issues, contractual provisions, and matters involving risk assessment and mitigation.
• Interact with internal clients (e.g., in-house production, production management, finance, accounting, marketing personnel, and programming), as well as individuals at external companies (e.g., production companies, agencies, outside law firms) to gather the necessary information to effectively draft and negotiate a variety of agreements (e.g., location, footage/photo/archival materials licensing, commission, development), and/or review third-party vendor agreements, and respond to comments effectively and quickly.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
On our team, you'll be at the core of A+E's businesses-working to conclude deals to create and license content with key business partners, as well as working hand-in-hand with a wide variety of internal teams responsible for making that content successful before and after premiere. You'll learn about content creation from start to finish and be exposed to the wide range of initiatives involved in making sure our fans know about our programming. You'll interact with L&BA colleagues in other areas, too (including Risk, Standards & Practices, Global Rights, Privacy, Distribution, International, etc.) Your work load will be varied and engaging, giving you the opportunity to use your creativity to both problem solve and create efficiencies in our day-to-day operations.
• JD Degree from an accredited law school and New York State bar admission (or in-house eligible)
• 7+ years of relevant legal experience (preference given to prior experience in the entertainment/media field) at a law firm or large in-house legal department. Transactional work with marketing and / or promotions is strongly preferred.
• Some experience supervising junior attorneys and/or paralegals
• Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and personal accountability, with the ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities
• Ability to work as part of a team, recognizing interconnectivity of issues to other L&BA divisions and colleagues, collaborating quickly and effectively
• Highly detailed-oriented and organized
• Strong oral and written communication skills