Director, International Licensing and Corporate Counsel
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.
THE ROLE: Director, International & Corporate Counsel
A+E Networks has an open position in New York for an attorney in a dual content licensing and corporate role, providing support on international content sales matters as well as corporate transactional matters across various A+E business divisions, including the International and Corporate/Corporate Development divisions.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Director, International & Corporate Counsel
• Negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of agreements related to A+E's International businesses for both A+E's owned and operated platforms, and third-party platforms and channels, including agreements related to content licenses for various rights (linear and/or video-on-demand) and distribution (e.g., streaming or mobile), and content creation.
• Provide support with respect to corporate transactions entered into by A+E, including joint ventures and equity investments, under the supervision of A+E's VP, Associate General Counsel.
• Advise on general operational and corporate matters pertaining to A+E domestic and international subsidiary entities.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
You will be part of a unified team that works to foster a culture of excellence that supports and drives A&E's goals in this changing media and business landscape. You'll have the opportunity to participate with a team that encourages clients to embrace Legal and Business Affairs as a strategic partner. We have the people, strength and scope to handle what comes our way. You'll will be able to improve processes and skills department wide, so that we all can collaborate, excel and grow, individually and as a group.
• JD Degree and member of NY State Bar.
• Minimum 4 years experience at a major law firm and/or media company as in-house counsel.
• Experience in content licensing (domestic and international), linear and on-demand rights, and distribution strongly preferred.
• Junior to mid-level experience in an active M&A or similar corporate practice preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and drafting skills (including ability to offer creative solutions) and clear and effective communication skills.
• Must be highly organized to be able to handle high volume of work in fast paced environment.
• Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, exercise good judgement and make decisions.
• Must be able to work collaboratively.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.