Director, Global Rights
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Director, Global Rights
Join Global Rights as an Experienced Attorney or Rights Professional with substantial Rights Management experience in the transforming television industry. As the Director of Global Rights, you will oversee the Rights Management process and advise on how to approach complex distribution strategies on a global scale for our core brands-History, A&E, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, VICELAND. In this position, you will collaborate closely with Programming, Domestic and International Scheduling, IT, Distribution, Broadcast Operations, Finance and Digital to develop and implement strategies, rights management system solutions and enhancements, and workflows necessary for smooth business operations. It is critical that you are a forward-thinking leader and a seasoned team player in fostering positive and proactive working relationships with various key stakeholders internally and externally, while effectively advising on critical legal analysis and risk assessment, and managing Global Rights day to day operations.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Team and Project Management:
• Oversee overall Rights Management processes and team of four responsible for servicing internal business units to ensure accurate and timely rights availability (e.g., scheduling/media/territory rights restrictions, end dates).
• Facilitate, coach and lead team in performance improvement strategies that result in higher performance.
• Collaborate with IT partners to design new software solutions addressing Global Right's needs, improve ongoing maintenance and upgrades to enhance mission-critical systems.
• Support International Programming & Scheduling partners on regular rights availability.
• Partner with Distribution and Digital to advise on risk assessment on ongoing/emerging linear and digital business ventures, including TV Everywhere, Over-the-Top, AD-supported video-on-demand, direct to consumer platforms, and podcast business.
• Interface with key stakeholders across the organization and outside to ensure quality customer satisfaction.
Risk Assessment & Legal Analysis:
• Advise internal business units on complex content exploitation and distribution rights on a global scale.
• Educate legal analysis of various contract clauses in all forms of agreements from programming/distribution level to underlying rights (i.e., licenses and releases delivered as part of our rights bibles).
• Risk assess business implications, execute decisions and communicate availability on tentative linear and digital distribution rights for commissioned and acquired programs.
• Advise team on business and legal risk on negotiation tactics and rights waivers for third-party licenses.
• Spearhead contract analysis, rights re-interpretation and updates current to the changing media business.
• Review content and advise legal risk on creative strategies for compilation and derivatives of existing programs.
• Collaborate with Supervisor, Risk and Litigation Counsels on fair use assessment and advise team/internal business units on Network's policy on fair use guidelines.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
You will be part of a unified team that works to foster a culture of excellence that supports and drives A&E's goals in this changing media and business landscape. You'll have the opportunity to participate with a team that encourages clients to embrace Legal and Business Affairs as a strategic partner. We have the people, strength and scope to handle what comes our way. You'll will be able to improve processes and skills department wide, so that we all can collaborate, excel and grow, individually and as a group.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• Minimum 8 years legal experience at a media company or entertainment law firm.
• Subject matter expert in complex media rights and methods of distribution.
• Superior technical, IT systems and database proficiency, especially in rights management software, scheduling and other business intelligence systems.
• Must have experienced people and project management skills.
• Must be a proven leader with the ability to motivate a team.
• Must have expert level experience with Excel.
B.A. or B.S. required; J.D., admitted to a State Bar preferred
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.