Director, Distribution Business Strategy
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
No matter the content, none of our great programming would air without the expertise of the Distribution team. We are the group that meets and negotiates with the companies that broadcast our content. We're also quick on our feet. As technology changes the media landscape, impacting viewer behavior and traditional models, we pivot to deliver new solutions that extend our content, brand and reach. While much of our work takes place in meeting rooms behind the scenes, our results are out there for all to see.
THE ROLE: Director, Distribution Business Strategy
Help to oversee economic and planning strategy for all content distribution deals domestically, in Canada and the Caribbean including developing and providing the quantitative analyses to optimize A+E Networks' value potential in deal negotiations. Additionally, work with the Corporate Development & Strategy team on an ad hoc basis.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Oversee deal economics for traditional MVPDs and vMVPD players. Develop strategic recommendations and plans for content distribution deals in order to maximize revenue and distribution
• Assess economic risk and opportunity for all deals
• Develop economic structure and strategy, including rates
• Devise economic incentives for penetration, volume, marketing etc.
• Collaborate closely with the Legal and Business Affairs team to understand economic implications of legal language and help construct economic terms in deals
• Help to forecast and track revenue projections to budget over term of deals
• Maintain and develop current economic tools
• Develop multiplatform data models to assess the economic impact and viewership contribution of linear and non-linear platforms
• Work with Research to develop monthly ratings trackers and compelling sales stories for networks/series by account
• Work with Research to determine critical data metrics to be negotiated in distribution deals
• Work with Research to mine data and metrics from distribution partners to better position A+E Networks for success
Manage annual compliance process
• Liase with legal and finance on process
• Oversee audits
Prepare comprehensive overview of accounts and liase with sales lead to develop strategic renewal plans for upcoming deal expirations.
• Develop subscriber values by network and portfolio for all accounts
• Monitor changes in Distributor packaging
• Track and analyze competitive network performance
• Track and analyze opportunities to underscore the value in deal negotiations
• Analyze subscriber trends
Collaborate with President of Distribution
• Work on quarterly forecasting and long-term financial planning
• Develop decks and presentations for Management meetings, board presentations etc.
• Model new content distribution models
Support the Corporate Development & Strategy team on an ad hoc basis
• Conduct research on industry-wide trends
• Analyze investment opportunities on a strategic and financial basis
• Create business models and forecast P&Ls for new internal growth opportunities across departments
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
As part of the Distribution arm of A+E, you'll gain a 360-degree view of how our content gets to the viewer. Through the Sales team, you'll learn about the contractual relationships A+E has with our multichannel and digital video programming distributors (M/DMVPDs) – and how to close that deal! In Distribution Marketing, you'll brainstorm new and innovative ways to promote our content across Set-top-box, TV Everywhere and Over-the-top platforms. In the Operations group you'll get the behind-the-scenes look at mission-critical tasks around technical support, contract management and compliance and data integrity and analysis. And finally, through the Product Development team you'll gain a unique understanding of how we optimize content scheduling and delivery across the a rapidly changing media landscape.
YOUR STORY: [+BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• Bachelor's Degree; MBA preferred
• In depth understanding of the media industry and competitive landscape (industry experience highly desired)
• Advanced economic modeling capabilities
• Ability to interpret and apply legal language to deal economics
• Ability to project economic risk and opportunity to best serve A+E Networks
• This position demands a self-starter that is highly organized, detail oriented, motivated and flexible
• The person should possess the drive to succeed in a fast paced ever-changing industry
• Strong communicator with solid relationship building skills
• Ability to interface with multiple departments and varied personalities
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.