Director, Consolidation and Financial Reporting
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Director, Consolidation and Financial Reporting
The position of Director, Consolidation and Financial Reporting is responsible for all of the financial reporting for the Company's business units. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all of the Company's accounting is in accordance with GAAP.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Director, Consolidation and Financial Reporting:
• Responsible for ensuring that all of the accounting associated with the Company's operations is in accordance with GAAP.
• Responsible for accurate preparation on the consolidated monthly financial results, quarterly forecasts and annual budgets of the Company's business units to senior management and external parties; oversee the monthly close process and analyze financial performance to identify areas of change and/or concern.
• Responsible for the monthly closes, quarterly forecasts and annual budgets of the Company's joint ventures and cost method investments.
• Consolidate all balance sheet account analysis and reconciliations. Organize and lead quarterly balance sheet review meetings with the Controller, Assistant Controller and accounting managers.
• Ensure all deadlines are met to report financial results to senior management and to our Partners in a timely manner.
• Review and monitor key changes between current forecast vs. prior forecast or year over year during each reforecast or budget process; oversee the preparation and presentation of variance explanations to senior management.
• Responsible for both the interim and year-end financial audits, including dealing directly with the external auditors on issues and with those in accounting to compile information requested. Also includes compilation and/or review of the financials and the related footnotes.
• Oversee management audits conducted by our parent companies, act as liaison and address issues among internal teams, the auditors and management.
• Foster working relationships with operational management; establishment of regular meetings with senior management in these areas to communicate financial results and discuss issues so that all is able to react in an appropriate manner.
• Review contracts and the analyses tied to new deals and commitments to interpret timing of deliverables and the financial terms to ensure the appropriate accounting procedures are implemented, proper authorization is obtained and budgetary impact is identified and addressed timely.
• Perform research and analysis on new accounting and financial reporting issues, keeping abreast of GAAP guidance as it relates to existing and new business operations to ensure transactions are recorded and reported properly.
• Oversee the adoption and implementation of new accounting guidance, including ASC 842 Lease.
• Ensure that all company policies and procedures are being followed with regards to accounting, accruals, budgeting, forecasting, etc. Work with all in Accounting to ensure that all policies and procedures are clearly documented and updated. Establish and communicate new policies and procedures as needed, enhance internal control and ensure consistency in financial reporting.
• Provide both formal and informal training in accounting, accruals, budgeting, forecasting, etc.
• Management of staff which includes reviewing work, setting priorities and goals, motivating, delegating, providing feedback, mentoring and assisting in professional development.
• Provide other support (i.e. special projects, ad hoc analysis, etc.) to VP Assistant Controller and SVP Controller as requested.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
The Director, Consolidation and Financial Reporting is a critical position within the Controller's group. The candidate needs to have strong analytical, accounting and supervisory skills and be open to establishing accounting and analytical procedures in media operations. The individual in this role must have the business acumen to be able to translate what is occurring in the business and interpret the accounting impact in a prompt manner. The ideal candidate needs to have strong technical skills to ensure our accounting is in accordance with GAAP.
This position requires an individual who can multi-task effectively and be able to meet all established deadlines so that we can report financial results to senior management and to our Partners in a timely manner. He/She needs to be extremely organized and disciplined in his/her approach and be flexible to deal with changing business requirements. The ability to prioritize issues and determine those that need follow up immediately and those that can be dealt with later will be critical to success.
This candidate will need to be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• CPA licensure is required with deep understanding of US GAAP
• 10+ years of work experience inclusive of internal/external financial reporting experience required; top-tier public accounting firm experience preferred
• Excellent analytical, accounting and supervisory skills; ability to establish accounting and analytical procedures
• Excellent ability to communicate project and status updates to team and cross-functionally to ensure understanding
• Team-focused; strong relationship-development skills resulting in long-term, mutually beneficial client relationships
• Superior organizational skills with attention to detail, excellent project managerial skills
• Must have the desire to thrive in a dynamic environment; able to multi-task effectively and be able to meet all established deadlines
• Self-motivated; highly capable of completing tasks and responding to department requests independently and to collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify quality solutions
• Demonstrates problem solving, decision making, and continuous process improvement skills
• Strong work ethic & professionalism
• Top candidates will have media industry experience or expertise
• Strong working knowledge of financial reporting systems (preferably SAP)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint preferred
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
THE DIVISON'S STORY
Most people don't realize the importance of the Finance department in keeping our business operating without hitches and delays. That's probably because we oversee many of the more quietly glamorous, back-office functions that drive our bottom line. We not only forecast, build and manage budgets, we also collect and analyze important data that helps leadership make the best decisions. All of this sounds exciting to you because you love numbers and spreadsheets, and especially love great entertainment.