Director, Commercial Clearance
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
''\''THE DIVISION'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments. \''
THE ROLE: Director, Commercial Clearance
A+E Networks has a unique Director level opportunity in New York working in Commercial Clearance to ensure advertisements are in compliance with both A+E's policies as well as federal guidelines. As a part of the Standards & Practices division within Legal & Business Affairs, this role also has Standards & Practices responsibilities for LIVE programming. This position will identify high risk and sensitive issues during content and advertising review and be able to make decisions to best position the Network.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Review, screen and evaluate advertisements/PSA's and related claims/substantiation to ensure A+E Networks compliance with FDA, FTC and FCC rules and internal guidelines/policies governing advertising.
• Negotiate and liaise with internal A+E Networks Ad Sales executives and external Ad Agencies on advertising submissions.
• Assign rules and restrictions for risqué categories of advertising including time of airing and working with the Commercial Operations team to flag certain ads in terms of scheduling in and around problematic series/programs for sensitivity purposes.
• Review and approve competitive advertising inventory in collaboration with A+E Networks Sales Management and subject to production and policy guidelines.
• Ability to flag legal issues and consult with A+E Legal department.
• Perform S&P and Legal Privacy decisions for Live programming as part of a team that works on various nights and weekends. Make senior level brand, standards and ethics decisions instantly for live programming as the scenes occur. Be able to actively identify live legal privacy issues. Negotiate matters in real time with Production Company Executive Producer, Director, and Network Programming Executives. Oversee additional on-site S&P personnel and tape delay operators on show nights for all editing decisions during live shows.
• Maintain a central database for commercial tracking purposes
• BA/BS Degree, JD optional
• 10+ years working experience, preferably at a network (cable or broadcast) working in Standards & Practices, Commercial Clearance or relevant experience, with a focus on advertising review
• Strong familiarity with regulatory and rules, including FDA, FTC and FCC regulations, indecency and trade libel
• Familiarity in clinical research/trials, consumer perception studies and substantiation
• Experience in working on live programming in a standards & practices capacity
• Excellent analytical, negotiation and oral/written communication skills
• Successful track record of management skills
• Strong time management and multi-tasking skills needed and must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
• Detailed-oriented and extremely organized
• Must have the ability to work independently, efficiently and be able to meet deadlines under strict time constraints
• Must be able to handle confidential information
• Team player who can build an environment of collaboration and collegiality with colleagues and clients.
• Willing to work Live shows on nights, as needed
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:
If you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
* * * * *
A+E Networks is proud to uphold an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. This policy also applies to all employees, consultants, and third-party workers.
A+E Networks, LLC. is a joint venture of Disney-ABC Television Group and Hearst Corporation.
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.