Counsel Or Manager
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Counsel or Manager (Legal & Business Affairs) (TEMP)
THE ROLE: Counsel or Manager (Legal & Business Affairs) (TEMP)
A+E Networks has an open position in New York for either a junior transactional attorney or seasoned business affairs professional who will provide support to all divisions commissioning, licensing, and/or producing content for any of A+E Networks' brands, with a special emphasis on the divisions of Six West Media™ in their ramp up of unscripted content development and production for the global marketplace.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Counsel or Manager, A+E Networks (dependent on experience):
Under the direction of senior attorneys in the L&BA Content Group
• Draft and negotiate various agreements relating primarily to nonfiction/real life/documentary projects; e.g., concept development; holding and/or shopping agreements; talent, and other service provider agreements;
• Interact with internal clients (e.g., in-house production, production management, finance, accounting, programming, marketing personnel), as well as individuals at external companies (e.g., creators, agencies, outside law firms, content buyers, and production companies) to gather the necessary information to effectively draft and negotiate the applicable agreements, and respond to comments effectively and quickly;
• Stay attuned to the ever-evolving business needs of clients, discussing, and revising template provisions to achieve business goals;
• Track projects and provide status updates to ensure that projects assigned are handled in a timely and efficient manner; and
• Research information and provide both legal and business guidance to the various clients.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
On our team, you'll be at the core of A+E's businesses-working to conclude deals to create great content with key business partners, whether for our own exploitation or exploitation by another company. You'll learn about content creation from start (pitch acceptance and development) to 'finish and beyond' (delivery and ancillary exploitation). The team is a highly engaged, collaborative, and motivated one, eager to discuss issues and provide solutions that meet company needs, while appropriately protecting the company from a legal perspective. You'll interact with L&BA colleagues in other areas, too (including Risk, Standards & Practices, Rights & Clearances, Distribution, International, etc.) Your work load will be varied, and while juggling projects may not always be easy, you'll be encouraged to interact often to brainstorm and formulate creative solutions consistently.
• JD Degree from an accredited law school and New York State bar admission
• 1 to 3 years of legal experience in the entertainment field as an attorney or 5+ years experience in the legal and/or business-affairs department of a production company as well as prior cable or broadcast network experience)
• Strong time management and multi-tasking skills needed; must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
• Detail-oriented and extremely organized
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Experience with the Abacus HotDocs software is a plus
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:
If you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
* * * * *
A+E Networks is proud to uphold an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. This policy also applies to all employees, consultants, and third-party workers.
A+E Networks, LLC. is a joint venture of Disney-ABC Television Group and Hearst Corporation.
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.
Please note project assignment associates are engaged to provide service to A+E Networks on a temporary basis in connection with a specific project. Project assignment associates are hired and employed through a third party vendor with a duration/tenure of no longer than eighteen (18) months.
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We're the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.