Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs - NY Content Group
THE ROLE: Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs - NY Content Group
A+E Networks has an open position in New York for a transactional attorney who will provide support to all divisions commissioning, licensing, and/or producing scripted and unscripted content for the A+E Networks' brands, as well as a wide variety of internal groups dedicated to the marketing and promotion of the entire A+E portfolio.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Negotiate and draft various agreements relating to:
• unscripted programming; e.g., concept development; program commission/production services, acquisition, and/or other service provider agreements; and
• scripted programming; e.g., work-for -hire production agreements, license production agreements,, option/purchase rights agreements, writer, executive producer and other creative service agreements.
• Interact with internal clients (e.g., programming, in-house production, production management, finance, accounting, marketing personnel), as well as individuals at external companies (e.g., production companies, agencies, outside law firms) to gather the necessary information to effectively draft and negotiate the applicable agreements, and respond to comments effectively and quickly.
• Draft, review, and/or negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements for various internal divisions, including Marketing, Ad Sales, Partnerships, PR, Production, , and Photography-such as master service agreements, statements of work, confidentiality agreements, work-for-hire agreements, production releases, influencer agreements, sponsorship agreements, license agreements, and partnership/co-promotional agreements. Handle other transactional matters as assigned.
• Draft sweepstakes and contests rules and corresponding documents for promotions held across all platforms for the A+E brands. This includes drafting official rules, indemnification letters, affidavits of eligibility, and releases.
• Assist in the review of proposed advertising/marketing materials and initiatives to ensure compliance with law (including FTC endorsement guides), relevant third-party contracts/relationships, and internal policies and best practices. Provide internal clients with legally sound and practical counsel that involves a range of legal issues, contractual provisions, and matters involving risk assessment and mitigation.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
On our team, you'll be at the core of A+E's businesses-working to conclude deals to create and license content with key business partners, as well as working hand-in-hand with a wide variety of internal teams responsible for making that content successful before and after premiere. You'll learn about content creation from start to finish and be exposed to the wide range of initiatives involved in making sure our fans know about our programming. You'll interact with L&BA colleagues in other areas, too (including Risk, Standards & Practices, Global Rights, Privacy, Distribution, International, etc.) Your work load will be varied and engaging, giving you the opportunity to use your creativity to both problem solve and create efficiencies in our day-to-day operations.
• JD Degree from an accredited law school and New York State bar admission (or in-house eligible)
• 3+ years of relevant legal experience (preference given to prior experience in the entertainment/media field) at a law firm or large in-house legal department
• Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and personal accountability, with the ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities
• Highly detailed-oriented and organized
• Strong oral and written communication skills
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Our global Legal and Business Affairs department believes in the promise and power of teamwork. When we work together as a cohesive unit – supporting, involving, appreciating and respecting each other – we can elevate our company, our clients, and ourselves. At A E Networks, we have built and developed a culture based on the principles of effective communication, collaboration, accountability and trust. These guiding principles serve as our north star as we partner and strategize with other departments across the Company to help A E Networks achieve its goals and stay at the forefront of a highly competitive, rapidly changing industry. If you share these values and want to learn more about who we are and what we do, consider joining our team.